Speed Frequency of the Human Brain

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
This is a question just for fun, but if the brain could be measured in frequency

What would the frequency be for a person with the IQ of 100 vs IQ of 140 be

again, don't hate, this is a question purely for fun

It depends on your age, the area of your brain and the function being performed.

And not surprisingly (well, maybe to some of you :lol: ), a younger brain is a 'faster' brain.

The firing synapses (moving along their fiber networks) are actually a chemical reaction. And when you are young those 'neurotransmitters' are really firing.

HOWEVER, the issue is in the development and maturation of the prefrontal cortex (the area of your brain where higher
cognitive abilities are performed). Therefore, it is very difficult to define a correlation between the ""speed"" of the brain and IQ.

'Higher cognitive abilities' are more related to the ability of the prefrontal cortex to filter and suppress irrelevant
information. Younger brains (up to 20 years or so) don't do that worth a damn - regardless of speed. I would surmise the same applies in this comparison.

So. The brain of a person with an IQ of 100 might be really fast BUT their brain cannot filter and suppress irrelevant information as efficiently as the person with an IQ of 140. The 'Brainiac' simply processes relevant data instead of garbage.

Thank you, Betty Jo !

(I used to boink a brain scientist long ago. Being the arse-wipe that I am what knowledge I obtained was most likely through some cosmic genital osmosis :ouch: )

^^ I liken that resonse to havinf windows for years without ever defragging. At first, its snappy, as youve not added anything into it. Later, as we run accross a virus or 2 (or take up drugs and/or drinking, on the human side of it), we start having a few glitches, it isnt as responsive, and we need to defrap, only difference is, we have defrag, but no ones invented the perfect hangover pill

UltraO

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Exactly, the brain is for example super mega ultra über extremely kaboomely megaextremely ultrasupermegaüberextremelykaboomelymega extremely threaded, it can do I mean come on the brain isn't a cpu, it's... The brain = the person.

SIMPLE

Upendra09

Distinguished
the reason for less filtering is probably because when you are young u have to know wat everything is or else a car can also a masseur going over ur back for comfort

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
IQ comes from memories and sequences and the ability to rearrange it into meaningful data. So, in fact the IQ test score only proves you can remember certain memories and sequences, so a more intelligent person might know less general knowledge than a regular person, but be able to design aerospace stuff.