Question Speed is higher than what it should be

Dec 28, 2019
I have my new ryzen 5 3600 and its not overclocked i put it in 15 minuets prior to this post , but in task manager its going up to a 4.1ghz when it clearly states that the base speed is 3.6ghz , is there some sort of boost i should be aware off and please help because the temps will be too much for the stock cooler.

WildCard999

Titan
I read on the AMD boost they implementes but is there a way to keep it around 3.6 or is there no option to turn off?
I'm not aware of a method of disabling it besides a lower manual overclock but it won't boost up if the CPU is too hot anyways so there's really no reason to disable it.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

You could try setting your power options to a low power plan which may limit that boost speed.

Dec 28, 2019
I'm not aware of a method of disabling it besides a lower manual overclock but it won't boost up if the CPU is too hot anyways so there's really no reason to disable it.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

You could try setting your power options to a low power plan which may limit that boost speed.
If there is no problem i wont but it went up to 79 degrees whilst playing rainbow six siege. I know that is somewhat okay but is it normal?

WildCard999

Titan
If there is no problem i wont but it went up to 79 degrees whilst playing rainbow six siege. I know that is somewhat okay but is it normal?
It's warm but usually anything underv 80C is considered safe. I believe the shutdown temp for it is 90-95C. What program are you using to monitor the temp? Some programs don't give accurate readings and the best to use is AMD Ryzen Master.

Dec 28, 2019
It's warm but usually anything underv 80C is considered safe. I believe the shutdown temp for it is 90-95C. What program are you using to monitor the temp? Some programs don't give accurate readings and the best to use is AMD Ryzen Master.
i was using MSI afterburner so it shows up in game , but i usually uses the hwMonitor program.