Speed Issue with Cisco Linksys E1200 Router

G

Hey everyone. I've been having an internet issue today, and I'm assuming my router is causing it. Normally my connection is around 7-8Mbps, but today it's started to drop dramatically. Running a few speed tests, I've been getting anywhere between 200Kbps and 2Mbps down, while my upload speed stayed around 2-3Mbps. I disconnected my router and hooked a laptop straight to the modem, ran a speed test and came out at just under 8Mbps. So far, I've reset everything, I've swapped cables, and I upgraded the firmware on the router to the newest version from the Cisco website.

Any ideas on how I might be able to fix this? I called my ISP and they will probably send someone out tomorrow, but since I think it may be my personal router, I don't want them to come out for nothing and charge me money.

Edit: Also, I swapped out the router for the old Belkin router that I had replaced and my speeds went up to 7-8Mbps.

I'm using a Cisco Linksys E1200 router. I should've known to avoid this router just by looking at how goofy it looks lol.

Solution
G

Both. The wired connection on my desktop and the wireless connection on my wife's laptop both lost quite a bit of speed. I did the factory reset, and still had the same issue. I connected 3 different devices straight to the modem, and it worked fine, so I'm convinced it's an issue with this router.

sk1939

Distinguished

Sounds like the router is dying, or has an issue. If it's under warranty still, Cisco might replace it. Otherwise I would look at getting a new router.

Solution
G

I used the Cisco software that came with the router.

And I really hope the router isn't dying, I don't think I've even had it for 6 months. A $60 router that doesn't last 6 months is a terrible thing. I'll contact Cisco to see, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I definitely won't be buying one of these ever again.