[SOLVED] Speed issues multiple router setup

Mar 3, 2019
Let me explain my setup first and then go into details about what happened and hopefully someone can help me. I have a computer in the kitchen with a modem connected to the wan on the router. The pc is connected by lan to the router. I have another Lan connection from that router connected to the Wan on a router in my bedroom and a lan connection from the bedroom router to my bedroom pc. This whole setup worked amazing until I woke up one day and realized i had no internet on my bedroom pc. so i tried some fixes that i found online. Ipconfig/release and renew. I tried some netsh commands that were suggested also. nothing worked. That is when i noticed that my dog destroyed my ethernet cable connecting the routers. So i replaced the ethernet cable and my internet started working again. The problem is my pc in the kitchen is getting speeds of 350mbps and my bedroom pc is getting speeds of 90mbps. the speeds were almost the same before i tried fixing whatever I did and now I cant figure out what i couldve changed and why the speeds would be so different. My bedroom router is a netgear R6400 if that helps at all. Thanks for any help i can get on this.

Solution
You need to see if the port is running at 100mbps. The problem is CAT6 means nothing and vendors are taking advantage of that. The actual standards are things like eia/tia

It really doesn't matter much you have few option if the cable does not run at gigabit speeds. Most routers there is no way to set the speed so it can not be a software configuration issue. So you are left with hardware errors on the ports...which you can't fix..or a cable issue. All you can realistically do is blindly replace the cable even though you just purchased the one you are using. If you had the tools you could re terminate the cables but that tends to be very hit and miss for someone who does not do it a lot.

When you are purchasing...
It appear the replacement cable you are using is only running at 100mpbs. Some routers will tell you the speed the lan ports are running at or they have lights that you can tell. There is lots of fake cable on the market. Cable that is CCA instead of pure copper and the flat or thin cable has problems especially on longer cables.

Although it is not related to your problem I would run your second router as AP. This will make it easier for the devices in your house to communicate with each other and you will not have 2 layers of NAT which some game consoles have issues with.

Mar 3, 2019
It appear the replacement cable you are using is only running at 100mpbs. Some routers will tell you the speed the lan ports are running at or they have lights that you can tell. There is lots of fake cable on the market. Cable that is CCA instead of pure copper and the flat or thin cable has problems especially on longer cables.

Although it is not related to your problem I would run your second router as AP. This will make it easier for the devices in your house to communicate with each other and you will not have 2 layers of NAT which some game consoles have issues with.
Thanks for the reply. Im running a 100ft cat6 cable if that helps at all.

You need to see if the port is running at 100mbps. The problem is CAT6 means nothing and vendors are taking advantage of that. The actual standards are things like eia/tia

It really doesn't matter much you have few option if the cable does not run at gigabit speeds. Most routers there is no way to set the speed so it can not be a software configuration issue. So you are left with hardware errors on the ports...which you can't fix..or a cable issue. All you can realistically do is blindly replace the cable even though you just purchased the one you are using. If you had the tools you could re terminate the cables but that tends to be very hit and miss for someone who does not do it a lot.

When you are purchasing longer cables that tend to be expensive to replace you really need to make sure you get quality cables. Again you need to be sure the cable is pure copper and has wire size 22-24. It will be marked on the side of the cable in most cases.

Solution
Mar 3, 2019

When you are purchasing longer cables that tend to be expensive to replace you really need to make sure you get quality cables. Again you need to be sure the cable is pure copper and has wire size 22-24. It will be marked on the side of the cable in most cases.
I checked my router and it says my WAN port is running at 100 and it should be 1000. Do you know if that means it is a issue with my router or most likely the cable is the problem? Appreciate the help