[SOLVED] Speed Issues with Fibre internet

Ramzyy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys,

Today I got the 1gb Optic Fibre Internet, the guys said everything works fine when they finished also my modem is located downstairs , my wifi speed on my phone is at 700mbps upstairs , on my PC WIFI upstairs is around 200mbs but when I try connecting my PC with ETHERNET cable I get around 90-100mbs, I do use the TP-LINK AV1000 GIGABIT POWERLINE STARTER KIT, and another 2 different ones in other sockets for the TV. Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Solution
Almost all of those are garbage flat cables or cca
Cat8 is a waste of money even if that was actually cat8 cable. Cat8 cable is only used in data centers and the stuff I have seen cost far more than that. I mean why would a data center pay 4 or 5 times the price.

This is a very well liked brand but you can find even cheaper if you look around.

Be very careful to read the very fine print. This is a example where they put all the key words is but say 30% pure copper and then correctly say it is CCA cable.
DO NOT BUY this cable. It is a example of what to watch out for
I am very surprised you get 700mbps on a phone at some distance, that is not real common.

You have a number of issues.

First it doesn't really matter that you connect to the powerline via ethernet it still uses the electrical wires between the units. It could be that you have a bad ethernet cable or maybe there is some setting in the pc or powerline units limiting you to 100mbps. It can also be the cable on the router end.
But this does not matter a lot. Even if you were to get gigabit between the powerline unit and your pc and router the connection over the electical cables for most people will not be much over 100mbps anyway. Some of the so called 2000 power line units can get maybe 300mbps when used on the same electical circuit.

Next the wifi difference likely has something to do with the wifi network card in your pc. The network card is 1/2 the connection and the connection speed will only run at the speed both devices support. Also wifi on desktop machines tend to have their antenna blocked by the metal case.

Reactions: Ramzyy

Ramzyy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2016
I am very surprised you get 700mbps on a phone at some distance, that is not real common.

You have a number of issues.

First it doesn't really matter that you connect to the powerline via ethernet it still uses the electrical wires between the units. It could be that you have a bad ethernet cable or maybe there is some setting in the pc or powerline units limiting you to 100mbps. It can also be the cable on the router end.
But this does not matter a lot. Even if you were to get gigabit between the powerline unit and your pc and router the connection over the electical cables for most people will not be much over 100mbps anyway. Some of the so called 2000 power line units can get maybe 300mbps when used on the same electical circuit.

Next the wifi difference likely has something to do with the wifi network card in your pc. The network card is 1/2 the connection and the connection speed will only run at the speed both devices support. Also wifi on desktop machines tend to have their antenna blocked by the metal case.

Thank you for your reply,

My Network Card is : 10/100/1000 Gigabit Lan Port
Wireless Network Card: Wireless Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400mbs/5ghz , 300mbps/2.4ghz

Up Stairs on the pc WiFi I get 300mbps as of the latest test, and only 90mbps on the Tp Link. On the phone around 550mbps

All the Ethernet Cables are fairly new and are CAT6.

I could try plugging the Ethernet cable directly to the pc from the router?

If you were to run a ethernet cable all the way to the router you should be able to get close to gigabit speed you pay for.

What are the 2 images from.

Whatever port 2 is highly likely your problem. It is only running at 100mbps.

This is almost always a cable. So I would replace the cable that is plugged into whatever that is.

The most common issue with cables are all the fake cable sold. These cables do not actually meet the standards for ethernet and therefore do not always work on all equipment. Even the best brand of cables can be damaged or just go bad for unkown reasons.
Key is you need pure copper cable with wire size 22-24 (none of the flat or thin cable you see being sold). It only needs to be cat5e but cat6 cable might be cheaper but they will not run any different.

Cat8 is a waste of money even if that was actually cat8 cable. Cat8 cable is only used in data centers and the stuff I have seen cost far more than that. I mean why would a data center pay 4 or 5 times the price.

This is a very well liked brand but you can find even cheaper if you look around.

Be very careful to read the very fine print. This is a example where they put all the key words is but say 30% pure copper and then correctly say it is CCA cable.

Solution

Ramzyy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for the research!

So is Monoprice ethernet cable the one to go for, or is there something better? I'm asking purely because it seems a bit 'cheap' by the looks of the price. I don't mind spending a bit more.
Thanks

Not sure a ethernet cable is basically copper wire and plastic. I do not know pricing in the UK and inflation in general makes it hard. I actually thought that was a little expensive. :(

Now if you want cable that has fancy braided coverings I can't say I am more of a function over appearance type of guy.

The only differences I have seen would be if you want a different color or if you liked one kind of end over another. They also make stranded rather than solid core copper cables. This makes the cable much more flexible but you are not support to really use them at over 10ft so they would be even harder to find.

I really hate how hard it is for people to buy stuff. Amazon will prevent someone from selling a fake purse but the vast majority of the ethernet cables they sell are fakes.

Ramzyy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2016
Not sure a ethernet cable is basically copper wire and plastic. I do not know pricing in the UK and inflation in general makes it hard. I actually thought that was a little expensive. :(

Now if you want cable that has fancy braided coverings I can't say I am more of a function over appearance type of guy.

The only differences I have seen would be if you want a different color or if you liked one kind of end over another. They also make stranded rather than solid core copper cables. This makes the cable much more flexible but you are not support to really use them at over 10ft so they would be even harder to find.

I really hate how hard it is for people to buy stuff. Amazon will prevent someone from selling a fake purse but the vast majority of the ethernet cables they sell are fakes.

That's fair enough you have a point. So the Monoprice cable would be best option? If so I'll order it tonight!

I have a huge box of premade cable I purchased years ago and anything that I need custom lengths for I make myself from bulk cable.

Monoprice has a very solid history of selling quality stuff which is why you see it recommended all the time. The company I used to buy from does not exist anymore...or I think they changed the name.

Ramzyy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2016
I have a huge box of premade cable I purchased years ago and anything that I need custom lengths for I make myself from bulk cable.

Monoprice has a very solid history of selling quality stuff which is why you see it recommended all the time. The company I used to buy from does not exist anymore...or I think they changed the name.

Okay perfect, thank you for your help!