mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I recently have been haveing severe trouble with my 15 mbps connection its only reaching about 3mbps average. My cable campany tech said someone is hosting a server and now they claim i'm the one useing the bandwidth, which is why i'm not getting high speed because i'm using it already. I've disconnected my wireless router and only have one PC hooked up which is not downloading anything or uploading anything and they still claim i'm useing high bandwidth, a symantec security tech said someone most likely hacked my modem and is useing it to access the internet. They have already downgraded me to 10Mbps i would prefer to catch whoever is doing this befor they ban me entirely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Disconnect the MODEM immediately after reading this and leave it off for a day. Whoever is sharing your bandwidth will soon get fed up and go elsewhere - possibly even to buying his own service. After that, routinely shut it down at random times during the day - when it suits you to go out - and it will reinforce the fact that you know they're there and are determined to get rid of them.

If they want their site to remain online, they'll go away.

Disconnect the MODEM immediately after reading this and leave it off for a day. Whoever is sharing your bandwidth will soon get fed up and go elsewhere - possibly even to buying his own service. After that, routinely shut it down at random times during the day - when it suits you to go out - and it will reinforce the fact that you know they're there and are determined to get rid of them.

If they want their site to remain online, they'll go away.

Solution