Speed matters?

G

As far as CD-ROM drives go does it really make that much of a difference what speed it is? Just curious because several people nearly wet themselves when some guy said he was getting rid of his 72x Kenwood in another post.

The glass isn't half empty, it isn't half full. There just isn't enough in it.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well... yes and no. A CD-ROM can say 52x, but in reality, it might read at only 24x most of the time. It depends on the technology. Most people are quite pleased with Kenwood's drive because their technology helps it a lot - faster seek times, etc.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

The reason that I am getting rid of the true x is because of the reading problems that it has. I have had trouble installing games and other stuff because the 72x couldn't read it.

I need a good CDROM that will read everything and while I'm at it I may as well get a DVD.

G

All I know is I reinstalled Flight sim on my 72x and it took about 5 mins compared to 30 mins on my 32 times

G

So basically all a faster speed drive is good for is installing games/apps faster? What's the point then? If you can't read all types of disks, have crummy DAE, etc., why all the clamor for these ultra fast CD-ROMs?

The glass isn't half empty, it isn't half full. There just isn't enough in it.

G

The Kenwood drives are only good for installing games. The DAE in it is also good (32x). It is just that I don't mind waiting for games to install. I would trade speed for reliability any day!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IMNSOA, most of todays faster drives have slower access time than a good old name brand 32X, because of the additional time it takes to "spin up"! I had a 52x that took over 4 second to spin up at initial access, and both of my 32X drives did it in about 1. I now have a 48X that spins constantly at a reduced speed whenever a disk is in it, to reduce spin up time I think. Not a perfect solution, but it works! The 32x would have been more efficient as it did not have to spin when idle to achieve the same results.

Suicide is painless...........