Speed of D2 on GeForce 6600 vs Ti4200?

Hi,

This weekend, due to an upgrade I 'arranged' for my brother, I ended up
with the GeForce 6600 (non GT) he was planning on putting in his computer.

Since I expected this card to be an upgrade compared to the GeForce Ti4200
I had been using in my 'games PC' (basically a P4-2400 with 1GB of ram), I
replaced the Ti4200 with the 6600.

Games like Half-Life 2 definately look better with the 6600 compared to
the Ti4200.

D2 also looked to run ok (I didn't expect it to perform any better or
worse due to the new card), however, when doing some Hell Countess runs, I
noticed a slowdown I hadn't expected before. I noticed it first during the
last part of the run, when I teleport into the room of the Countess, give
the group(s) there a few tickles with Static Field, and finally finish off
the mob with CL's and some FO's for good measure.

During the Static Fielding, the entire game slows down. It seems like the
6600 has more problems rendering the Static Field/Sparking animations on
the monsters than the Ti4200 had. Very strange.

Anyone noticed something like this, and is there some way to remedy this?
Or is a 6600 simply slower in some repects than the Ti4200 it replaced?

(I know a FX5200 is lesser than a Ti4200, but I did expect the 6600 to
outperform the Ti4200...)

I'm going to look at this for a while, but it's possible I'm going to move
the Ti4200 back from my secondary PC (a P4-1700), and put the 6600 in
there... Weird stuff...

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <31551$42d17b6d$82a1d3bf$5310@news2.tudelft.nl>,
Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This weekend, due to an upgrade I 'arranged' for my brother, I ended up
>with the GeForce 6600 (non GT) he was planning on putting in his computer.
>
>Since I expected this card to be an upgrade compared to the GeForce Ti4200
>I had been using in my 'games PC' (basically a P4-2400 with 1GB of ram), I
>replaced the Ti4200 with the 6600.
>
>Games like Half-Life 2 definately look better with the 6600 compared to
>the Ti4200.
>
>D2 also looked to run ok (I didn't expect it to perform any better or
>worse due to the new card), however, when doing some Hell Countess runs, I
>noticed a slowdown I hadn't expected before. I noticed it first during the
>last part of the run, when I teleport into the room of the Countess, give
>the group(s) there a few tickles with Static Field, and finally finish off
>the mob with CL's and some FO's for good measure.
>
>During the Static Fielding, the entire game slows down. It seems like the
>6600 has more problems rendering the Static Field/Sparking animations on
>the monsters than the Ti4200 had. Very strange.
>
>Anyone noticed something like this, and is there some way to remedy this?
>Or is a 6600 simply slower in some repects than the Ti4200 it replaced?
>
>(I know a FX5200 is lesser than a Ti4200, but I did expect the 6600 to
>outperform the Ti4200...)
>
>I'm going to look at this for a while, but it's possible I'm going to move
>the Ti4200 back from my secondary PC (a P4-1700), and put the 6600 in
>there... Weird stuff...

Following up to myself here, see story above for the background for this
series of articles by myself....

It's just now that I unparked my skelliemancer for some MF-ing, and this
is where the slowdown mentioned above becomes painfully clear: Once I have
the full army (13+7 skeletons) and a few revives (10) going, the entire
game totally slows down when all of them are in view. Only when I run away
from them and they get off-screen does it suddenly pickup again.

I'm now starting to understand why people do not like Skelliemancer in
their public games: it seems most modern graphics card aren't able to
support this...

So what are you people playing Diablo 2 on?

I can offer the following data:

P4-2400/1GB/Ti4200: smooth as silk, even with loads of enemies on-screen
P4-2400/1GB/6600 : big slowdowns when many enemies are on screen
P4-1700/512MB/FX5200: Slowdown again

What is going on here?

Patrick.

> So what are you people playing Diablo 2 on?
>
> I can offer the following data:
>
> P4-2400/1GB/Ti4200: smooth as silk, even with loads of enemies on-screen
> P4-2400/1GB/6600 : big slowdowns when many enemies are on screen
> P4-1700/512MB/FX5200: Slowdown again
>
> What is going on here?

What version of DirectX you got? Just kidding. I would check to make sure
you have the latest driver, and also check to see that both are running
Direct3D and not DirectDraw (under Video Test). I've run on a
P4-3600/1GB/6800 GT with the latest drivers, running Direct3D with no
slowdowns.
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

Charles C. Shyu wrote:
> What version of DirectX you got? Just kidding. I would check to
> make sure you have the latest driver, and also check to see that both
> are running Direct3D and not DirectDraw (under Video Test). I've run
> on a P4-3600/1GB/6800 GT with the latest drivers, running Direct3D
> with no slowdowns.

Hey, Doc, how's it going with you? Well, I hope.

It's been a while since I've noticed you here--but of course that could be
because I only pop in very occasionally myself nowadays.

Again, best wishes to you.

--
chainbreaker

In article <WKkBe.22689$eM6.22228@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Charles C. Shyu <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote:
>> So what are you people playing Diablo 2 on?
>>
>> I can offer the following data:
>>
>> P4-2400/1GB/Ti4200: smooth as silk, even with loads of enemies on-screen
>> P4-2400/1GB/6600 : big slowdowns when many enemies are on screen
>> P4-1700/512MB/FX5200: Slowdown again
>>
>> What is going on here?
>
>What version of DirectX you got? Just kidding. I would check to make sure
>you have the latest driver, and also check to see that both are running
>Direct3D and not DirectDraw (under Video Test). I've run on a
>P4-3600/1GB/6800 GT with the latest drivers, running Direct3D with no
>slowdowns.

I have DirextX 9.0c, and that seems to work ok.

Also, the slowdown actually disappears when I switch to DirectDraw mode,
and as a last hope I installed Zeckensack's Glide Emulator 0.84c, and in
Glide there are no slowdowns anymore either (though D2 does crash when I
try to exit it).

I will probably upgrade the 6600 to a 6600GT (or even better) this
evening, and am curious what that does to the Direct3D performance with
Diablo II...

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <42d5fb9d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>Charles C. Shyu wrote:
>>> So what are you people playing Diablo 2 on?
>>>
>>> I can offer the following data:
>>>
>>> P4-2400/1GB/Ti4200: smooth as silk, even with loads of enemies
>>> on-screen P4-2400/1GB/6600 : big slowdowns when many enemies are on
>>> screen P4-1700/512MB/FX5200: Slowdown again
>>>
>>> What is going on here?
>>
>> What version of DirectX you got? Just kidding. I would check to
>> make sure you have the latest driver, and also check to see that both
>> are running Direct3D and not DirectDraw (under Video Test). I've run
>> on a P4-3600/1GB/6800 GT with the latest drivers, running Direct3D
>> with no slowdowns.
>
>And I have it on a couple of machines here that just have old 8MB S3 cards
>and, in 2D mode, they both run at pretty much 60fps all the time. I had a
>GF2MX400/64MB that would virtually grind to a halt with a skellimancer.

When the Ti4400 in a P4-1700 of mine stopped working a while ago, I switch
to a PCI Matrox Millennium as the gfx card in that one. Running Diablo II
in DirectDraw mode on that worked actually pretty good also.

The slowdown is not there at all in DirectDraw/2D mode, it occurs in
Direct3D mode.

>I don't know if it's possible to run these 'newer' cards in the mode the
>S3's are running in.

Oh yes, see my other reply, I tried DirectDraw mode, and although that
does not slow down, I also lose a lot of eye-candy (and the yellow/gold of
uniques is so much the same as the yellow of rares, I cannot distinguish
between them with out looking very carefully...)

Glide seems to offer the best of both worlds: fast performance, and good
looks.

But why an NVIDIA 6600 is not able to play D2 at full-speed in Direct3D
mode, where an older Ti4200 was able to: I have no idea, but would be
interested have some kind of technical explanation...

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <42d61b66$1@news.orcon.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> When the Ti4400 in a P4-1700 of mine stopped working a while ago, I
>> switch to a PCI Matrox Millennium as the gfx card in that one.
>> Running Diablo II in DirectDraw mode on that worked actually pretty
>> good also.
>>
>> The slowdown is not there at all in DirectDraw/2D mode, it occurs in
>> Direct3D mode.
>
>Yes, I have found this too.

At last some confirmation. :)

>> Oh yes, see my other reply, I tried DirectDraw mode, and although that
>> does not slow down, I also lose a lot of eye-candy (and the
>> yellow/gold of uniques is so much the same as the yellow of rares, I
>> cannot distinguish between them with out looking very carefully...)
>
>Same here, very much so. However I mainly use said machines for bringing in
>my 'buffers' (BO slave and enchantress) so it doesn't bother me much.

This indeed would not be a problem on the slower machine (the
aforementioend P4-1700), since that's the machine I use for bringing in
mules, but it also happens on my main gaming rig (the P4-2400).

>> Glide seems to offer the best of both worlds: fast performance, and
>> good looks.
>
>But doesn't the card have to support Glide or is it possible to install an
>API to use it with a card? (A bit out of my depth here)

One can download a Glide software emulator, called Zeckensacks Glide
wrapper. Works pretty nice, and looks quite professional. Perfect if you
want to run old Glide titles. It did add the extra problem of D2 crashing
to the desktop when I try to quite it. But I think I can live with that
for now...

See: http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

If you try it out, let us know here how it works...

>> But why an NVIDIA 6600 is not able to play D2 at full-speed in
>> Direct3D mode, where an older Ti4200 was able to: I have no idea, but
>> would be interested have some kind of technical explanation...
>
>Umm, Old code trying to run on new hardware that isn't so
>backwards-compatible as the Ti4200?

That's what I think too, or perhaps an architectural difference between
the two. See:

http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

There is some architectural difference between the 6600 and the Ti4200
(the number of texture units per pixel pipeline) which perhaps explains
why a game like D2 runs better on a Ti4200...

But since I don't know the internals of D2 and can only guess to them, I
cannot be sure if that's the problem.

>I am using a Ti4200 on my main machine as well. (AMD Barton running at
>2.1GHz) It works well enough but also has some slow-downs with skellimancers
>and Shenk kills. Also, the difference between yellow and gold isn't nearly
>as pronounced on my machine as it is on Shady's which is running an FX5200
>Ultra.

Shenk has always been a problem, even with the Ti4200 in Direct3D mode.
However, the slowdown induced by the Shenk kill sequence is also removed
when using the above-mentioned Glide wrapper.

The difference between gold and yellow was always quite big using
Direct3D. Perhaps some gamma/colour saturation modifications, either in D2
itself, or via the NVidia color correction panel, can fix this?

Regards,

Patrick.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:03:58 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

>In article <31551$42d17b6d$82a1d3bf$5310@news2.tudelft.nl>,
>Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>>Hi,

[snip]

>So what are you people playing Diablo 2 on?

P3-733 / 384 meg / GeForce256
Slows down with skellymancer, crawls to a halt if a sorc is also
spamming orb or blizzard :(

>I can offer the following data:
>
>P4-2400/1GB/Ti4200: smooth as silk, even with loads of enemies on-screen
>P4-2400/1GB/6600 : big slowdowns when many enemies are on screen
>P4-1700/512MB/FX5200: Slowdown again
>
>What is going on here?

Dunno...the 6600 should be twice as powerful as the Ti4200, based on
the specs.

Someone gave me an MSI 5200. Once I get a machine that will run it
(All my pc's are AGP1.0 - BX chipset), I hope to have no slowdowns ;-)

Maybe I'll even be able to play WoW !

In article <nqicd1t5uj2pv5n4g2kke75vvbhjgjhqpo@4ax.com>,
noneyabusiness <me@you.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:03:58 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
><patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>[snip]

>>So what are you people playing Diablo 2 on?
>
>P3-733 / 384 meg / GeForce256
>Slows down with skellymancer, crawls to a halt if a sorc is also
>spamming orb or blizzard :(

Well, look at my other posts in this thread; you might try out the Glide
wrapper I mentioned. It removes most slowdowns, including the Shenk death
Animation...

>>I can offer the following data:
>>
>>P4-2400/1GB/Ti4200: smooth as silk, even with loads of enemies on-screen
>>P4-2400/1GB/6600 : big slowdowns when many enemies are on screen
>>P4-1700/512MB/FX5200: Slowdown again
>>
>>What is going on here?
>
>Dunno...the 6600 should be twice as powerful as the Ti4200, based on
>the specs.

Well, depends on what you look at, but I'd expect it to perform at least
equal, with more eye-candy enabled on newer titles.

The performance with D2 came as a total surprise to me. :(

>Someone gave me an MSI 5200. Once I get a machine that will run it
>(All my pc's are AGP1.0 - BX chipset), I hope to have no slowdowns ;-)
>
>Maybe I'll even be able to play WoW !

:) Good luck!

Patrick.

> Hey, Doc, how's it going with you? Well, I hope.
>
> It's been a while since I've noticed you here--but of course that could be
> because I only pop in very occasionally myself nowadays.
>
> Again, best wishes to you.

Hey Chainbreaker -- good to see some of the old timers still around. I
don't post much anymore mainly because 1.10 "nerfed" my knowledge of the
game, and I didn't really play enough after the patch to relearn everything.
But believe it or not, I still drop by once a week or so and read at least
one post from every thread. I still log in to b.net every once in a while,
but mostly when my accounts need refreshing. Like everyone, we're all still
awaiting news on D3. I doubt many of us (Diablo-addicted) old timers could
resist coming back for D3...

Hope all is well with you too.
--

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, "Charles C. Shyu" wrote:

>> good to see some of the old timers still around.

Some of us being older old-timers than other, good to see you, Doc!

>> I don't post much anymore mainly because 1.10 "nerfed" my knowledge of the
>> game, and I didn't really play enough after the patch to relearn everything.

Take a gander at the Chaos Empire Mod... it's a whole new power-packed
tooth-endowed world!

>> I doubt many of us (Diablo-addicted) old timers could
>> resist coming back for D3...
>>
>> Hope all is well with you too.

No need to wait for D3, the CE Mod fills that bill quite nicely!

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

In article <4e868$42d63329$82a1d3bf$11524@news2.tudelft.nl>,
Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>In article <42d61b66$1@news.orcon.net.nz>,

>>I am using a Ti4200 on my main machine as well. (AMD Barton running at
>>2.1GHz) It works well enough but also has some slow-downs with skellimancers
>>and Shenk kills. Also, the difference between yellow and gold isn't nearly
>>as pronounced on my machine as it is on Shady's which is running an FX5200
>>Ultra.
>
>Shenk has always been a problem, even with the Ti4200 in Direct3D mode.
>However, the slowdown induced by the Shenk kill sequence is also removed
>when using the above-mentioned Glide wrapper.
>
>The difference between gold and yellow was always quite big using
>Direct3D. Perhaps some gamma/colour saturation modifications, either in D2
>itself, or via the NVidia color correction panel, can fix this?

To follow-up to myself:

I went to the shop I got the 6600 from, and let them diagnoze the
'fuzzy-screen' problem. It was not visible there, but they were using
a vastly inferior CRT monitor compared to what I have at home. The
conclusion was that there was some sort of compatibility issue between my
specific monitor and that 6600 card, something which they had seen a few
times before.

They offered to allow me to downgrade to an FX5700 card, but I opted to go
one-up, so I went home with a Club3D 6600GT.

Installed it in my games-rig, and the image appears to be crystal-clear
again (*knock-on-wood*).

Speed-wise, Diablo II in Direct3D mode appeared to be a bit faster, but
there was still a very noticable and irritating slow-down when a lot of
monsters/skellies are in view.

So for now, I'm using the Zecksack Glide Wrapper and play it using that;
when a new NVidia driver comes around, I'll swap back to Direct3D mode and
see how D2 performs... Too bad Diablo II crashes when I leave it when
using Glide, but I'll try to contact the author of the Glide Wrapper for
that...

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <42d85f60@news.orcon.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>> In article <4e868$42d63329$82a1d3bf$11524@news2.tudelft.nl>,

>> They offered to allow me to downgrade to an FX5700 card, but I opted
>> to go one-up, so I went home with a Club3D 6600GT.
>
>:) A true hardware man never downgrades.

Heh. :) Yeah, well, I wasn't too impressed already with the non-Diablo II
speed-gains of the vanilla 6600, so I thought, why not one up. This one
seems to be a bit faster...

>> Speed-wise, Diablo II in Direct3D mode appeared to be a bit faster,
>> but there was still a very noticable and irritating slow-down when a
>> lot of monsters/skellies are in view.
>
>I'm sure it's the age of LOD and the backwards-compatibility thing.

I'm afraid it is. Someone else in the nvidia newsgroup mentioned he
noticed no slowdown with a 440MX card. This is another NVidia card which
has 2 texture units per pixel pipeline. Of course vastly inferior to a
Ti4200/6600/6600GT on about anything, but perhaps there lies the
difference between the performance of the 'old stuff' (GeForce4) vs the
new stuff (FX5200/6600/6600GT).

>> So for now, I'm using the Zecksack Glide Wrapper and play it using
>> that; when a new NVidia driver comes around, I'll swap back to
>> Direct3D mode and see how D2 performs... Too bad Diablo II crashes
>> when I leave it when using Glide, but I'll try to contact the author
>> of the Glide Wrapper for that...
>
>How do you mean crashes when you leave? When he hit 'exit and save' it
>doesn't go back to character screen but vanishes? Does it still save fine?
>(Thinking of HC character and emergency exit, not that I've had to do that
>yet).

No luckily not when I choose 'exit and save', but when I complete 'Exit'
Diablo II via the Main menu and go back to the desktop. The games freeze,
I here a 'bloink' sound, and Diablo II seems to put up a requester/error
message, but I cannot see it. Pressing enter confirms that one, and leaves
me with a horribly bright desktop. This is, however, according to the
documentation provided with the Glide Wrapper, a known problem with games
crashing to the desktop, so a utility is provided to bring the 'gamma'
back to normal levels.

Irritating. I sent the auther an email, hopefully I hear something back...

Regards,

Patrick.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:39:34 GMT, Brian Brunner wrote:

> No need to wait for D3, the CE Mod fills that bill quite nicely!

Hmm, you make me curious. I avoided the mod so far, but ... everyone seems
so fond of it.

M.

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:39:34 GMT, Brian Brunner wrote:
>
>> No need to wait for D3, the CE Mod fills that bill quite nicely!
>
> Hmm, you make me curious. I avoided the mod so far, but ... everyone
> seems so fond of it.
>
> M.

I played it for a bit, but quit after A1. It sounds odd I know, but for me
the mod just has . . . too much stuff for an old fart like me to keep up
with. I did enjoy the nude assy patch for it, though--it's a shame the
game's limited to 800x600 res. :)

--
chainbreaker

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:48:31 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:

> I played it for a bit, but quit after A1. It sounds odd I know, but for me
> the mod just has . . . too much stuff for an old fart like me to keep up
> with.

That doesn't sound good. What prevented me so far is that I don't really
want to fuzz around with files and my instalation. I still play my "clean"
SP characters every once in a while, but it's mostly to kill time. There
really isn't a game I am deeply into right now.

I cancelled my WoW subscription, too. Excellent game, but doesn't offer me
end game content that I find appealing or interesting. Nothing really to do
for single players or even small groups except PvP, and that doesn't
interest me. But it was fun for a few months and I don't regret the
purchase. Ironically, I had pretty much predicted after the Euro beta that
I'd probably have "played through" the game in 4-5 months. I was right on
mark, too. Still have an unused game card floating around, so I might check
it out again around Christmas.

Did you check out Guild Wars? After the beta I didn't feel attracted, so I
never really cared to look at the release. Waiting for The Fall patch...
might get some fun out of that. :) Oh, and maybe Dungeon Siege 2 will be
playable next month...

> I did enjoy the nude assy patch for it, though--it's a shame the
> game's limited to 800x600 res. :)

You would! ;)

M.

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:48:31 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> I played it for a bit, but quit after A1. It sounds odd I know, but
>> for me the mod just has . . . too much stuff for an old fart like me
>> to keep up with.
>
> That doesn't sound good. What prevented me so far is that I don't
> really want to fuzz around with files and my instalation. I still
> play my "clean" SP characters every once in a while, but it's mostly
> to kill time. There really isn't a game I am deeply into right now.

Well, the installation is basically "bullet proof", compared to the other
mods I've fooled around with. CE leaves the basic game alone and swapping
between it and the regular game is a breeze. Don't let me talk you out of
checking it out, because it's a very good mod and you might very well like
it. I believe I may be the one who talked Jill/neithskye into trying it
out, and despite her claim of being clueless regarding such stuff, it looks
like she may now very well be the mod's resident expert. :)

> I cancelled my WoW subscription, too. Excellent game, but doesn't
> offer me end game content that I find appealing or interesting.
> Nothing really to do for single players or even small groups except
> PvP, and that doesn't interest me. But it was fun for a few months
> and I don't regret the purchase. Ironically, I had pretty much
> predicted after the Euro beta that I'd probably have "played through"
> the game in 4-5 months. I was right on mark, too. Still have an
> unused game card floating around, so I might check it out again
> around Christmas.

WoW was OK, and if there was some way to escape from the community at large
and just play with the D2 folks and a few other good ones we met along the
way I'd probably have continued. But there ain't and I couldn't tolerate
it.

> Did you check out Guild Wars? After the beta I didn't feel attracted,
> so I never really cared to look at the release. Waiting for The Fall
> patch... might get some fun out of that. :) Oh, and maybe Dungeon
> Siege 2 will be playable next month...

I did get GW as a matter of fact, and hooked up with Nos last night for a
bit. The game's gorgeous--best looking game around right now IMO, and I've
seen most of the "lookers". Only thing about it is that in many ways it's
just a more complicated Fate, which means I'm not sure what kind of "legs"
it's going to have. I actually hadn't played the game in over a month until
I saw that Nos had picked it up and decided to see whether gameplay was more
compelling when grouped with a reasonably decent real live person. The
jury's still out. :)

>> I did enjoy the nude assy patch for it, though--it's a shame the
>> game's limited to 800x600 res. :)
>
> You would! ;)

Weellll . . .

--
chainbreaker

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, "chainbreaker" wrote:

>> Michael Vondung wrote:

>> > Hmm, you make me curious. I avoided the mod so far, but ... everyone
>> > seems so fond of it.
>> >
>> > M.
>>
>> I played it for a bit, but quit after A1. It sounds odd I know, but for me
>> the mod just has . . . too much stuff for an old fart like me to keep up
>> with. I did enjoy the nude assy patch for it, though--it's a shame the
>> game's limited to 800x600 res. :)

You are not wrong, the CE Mod is as much new stuff as the LOD expansion
was. Jewels, runes, and rune words, charms and a HUGE stash. Plus actV
itself. It was a substantial change in the game.

CE allows rune words in Rare items, and you can control how many sockets
an item gets (up to the max for item type and item ilvl). So a Faith
runeword in a rare ashwood or grand matron bow with killer mods
(pun/pun) is very possible!

--

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Michael Vondung wrote:

>> What prevented me so far is that I don't really
>> want to fuzz around with files and my instalation. I still play my "clean"
>> SP characters every once in a while, but it's mostly to kill time. There
>> really isn't a game I am deeply into right now.

When CE installs, there is an enable/disable for the mod. When D2 is
not in use (std OR mod) clicking on the enable/disable toggles whether
it is D2 or D2CE. So you lose nothing.