Speed, Storage, and a new hard drive

luciferlachance

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hey guys, back again with more questions. I went through a load of changes with my pc a few months back. Got a new graphics card but I needed a new processor. Once I got that processor (i5) I found out I needed a new motherboard because mine wasn't compatible with my new processor. Turns out that motherboard was wired specifically for my case, so I also had to get a new case.
After getting a new card, processor, motherboard, AND case I'm trying to expand the storage. I went with a GTX 760 gaming card and my i5-3470 CPU but my games are still laggy and blocky, so my guess is my hard drive is going out (it's the last original piece of my PC and I've had it for years). It was 1TB and because I'm a file junky I've only got about 100GB left. But it seems no matter how much I clear it up now my PC is still pretty slow.
I got my original internal 1TB HDD, a new internal 1TB HDD, and two 500GB external HDD that a friend gave me. Will just putting my files on my new HDD make things better? Or should I switch it completely to my new HDD and use my old one as back up? Is there a way I can make my PC use my new HDD from now one instead of my old one without having to move ALL of the files over? I'd like to keep both, but I want my new :)Z) HDD to be used as the master (I guess that's the word) instead of it being secondary. How do I do this!? Lol

Solution
Hey there, luciferlachance!

What I can suggest you to do is back up all your important data from your old 1TB HDD somewhere on the two external 500GB HDDs.
Afterwards you can just format that old 1TB drive and put it aside.
Then plug in your new 1TB HDD :)Z) and install the OS on it. Make sure you set your boot priorities in BIOS right, so that you won't encounter any problems later.
This is how your :)Z) HDD will become the master drive.
After that you just plug in your old 1TB HDD (already formatted) and use it as a secondary storage. Any important data that you want from your backup, you just plug in the 500GB externals and transfer all the data you need on your primary (new HDD) or secondary (old HDD) storage.
In my opinion...
Hey there, luciferlachance!

What I can suggest you to do is back up all your important data from your old 1TB HDD somewhere on the two external 500GB HDDs.
Afterwards you can just format that old 1TB drive and put it aside.
Then plug in your new 1TB HDD :)Z) and install the OS on it. Make sure you set your boot priorities in BIOS right, so that you won't encounter any problems later.
This is how your :)Z) HDD will become the master drive.
After that you just plug in your old 1TB HDD (already formatted) and use it as a secondary storage. Any important data that you want from your backup, you just plug in the 500GB externals and transfer all the data you need on your primary (new HDD) or secondary (old HDD) storage.
In my opinion, this is the best way to proceed with things because you get a clean install of Windows to run with your new upgraded system specs smoothly.

Hope this helps! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I agree with supersoph_wd. In addition to the massive fragmentation and loss of fragment control on your original TB drive, you also have alot of orphan and junk files that would be next to impossible to remove without formatting. This also allows you to do a clean install of your systems drivers which is the most likely cause of your choppy gameplay.