[SOLVED] Speed tests not showing full internet speed

Denkata121

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
I recently changed my ISP and upgraded to a 500mb/s speed. I know I probably wont get the full speed but on my phone (a52 5g) with wifi i get about 250-300mb/s but on my pc (hooked up with a cable) I can barely get 90mb/s. Im using the mobo LAN but I dont think its that since its a gigabit LAN card (b450m pro4-f). If i didnt give enough info please tell me and ill provide it.

kanewolf

Titan
I recently changed my ISP and upgraded to a 500mb/s speed. I know I probably wont get the full speed but on my phone (a52 5g) with wifi i get about 250-300mb/s but on my pc (hooked up with a cable) I can barely get 90mb/s. Im using the mobo LAN but I dont think its that since its a gigabit LAN card (b450m pro4-f). If i didnt give enough info please tell me and ill provide it.
Is the motherboard plugged directly into the ISP router or is there some in-wall cabling?
250-300 on a phone with WIFI is pretty typical.
What router do you have?

Reactions: Krotow

Denkata121

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
Is the motherboard plugged directly into the ISP router or is there some in-wall cabling?
250-300 on a phone with WIFI is pretty typical.
What router do you have?
No other cables. Direct cable to the router (20m if it matters ). Router is Nokia G-2425G-A. Its the router they gave me and also no i cannot play with the settings of the router.

Denkata121

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
ISP ONT choice seems fine. Are you definitely sure that your home cabling is fine? Take your computer near ONT (laptop with 1 GBe Ethernet port will be easier) connect with Cat5e cable and check internet speed.
tried with a different cable and it worked. btw the 20m cable is self made but i just double checked it and its fine. Could it be the cable?

Yes. Replace it with a COMMERCIALLY MADE cable.

I can crimp 1 GBe capable cable in 2 minutes from Cat5e cable piece and RJ45 connectors lying in my shelf behind me which will work not worse than premade cable sold in shop. Speed issues in OP case most likely caused by missing wires in connector (only 4 wires instead of 8), teared wires or wrong connectors. In any case - OP, replace that cable you have now.

Denkata121

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
I can crimp 1 GBe capable cable in 2 minutes from Cat5e cable piece and RJ45 connectors lying in my shelf behind me which will work not worse than premade cable sold in shop. Speed issues in OP case most likely caused by missing wires in connector (only 4 wires instead of 8), teared wires or wrong connectors. In any case - OP, replace that cable you have now.
1 its a 4 pair wire 2 wrong connectors? 3 My cable has to be self made since it goes through a wall.