[SOLVED] Speeding up Laptop by Migrating Windows 10 to SSD with a freeware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2021
I just bought a Laptop Dell Inspiron 3505 it comes with pre-installed Windows 10 on its HDD which is 1 TB and its extremely slow to boot up and load things So I bought a Kingston 250GB SSD and installed it. Now I need some guidance in order to SHIFT windows 10 to SSD in order to speed things up with a freeware for example Macrium Reflect.

My concerns are.

1. Will shifting OS to SSD will speed things up?
  2. Is Macrium Reflect Free is good for that operation?
  3. Should I clone all partitions recovery and such.? It has one EFI partition, 3 recovery partitions, 1 OS partition and two data partitions (See image for reference).
  4. After I clone, how to make the SSD Bootable?
  5. Should I format the OS Partition in the HDD in order to make use of it for other purposes, and how to make it a normal data partition?
  6. I don't want to lose my OS that comes with the Laptop, what other precautions should I take?

Please help, thank you so much.

Click here to see Image of my DISKs

Macrium Reflect is showing disks like that.

Last edited:
Solution
Screw Driver is not the problem, I may cause Electrostatic discharge.
Yes it is M.2 design.
I think it is in hard drive bay, it is internal hard drive.
Yeah well you don't strictly need an anti static wrist strap to work on a pc.
As long as you touch a metal surface that's grounded every few minutes, you should be fine.
For me, the aluminium back of my fridge is connected to the earth wire, so that works.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Screw Driver is not the problem, I may cause Electrostatic discharge.
Yes it is M.2 design.
I think it is in hard drive bay, it is internal hard drive.
Yeah well you don't strictly need an anti static wrist strap to work on a pc.
As long as you touch a metal surface that's grounded every few minutes, you should be fine.
For me, the aluminium back of my fridge is connected to the earth wire, so that works.

Solution