Speeding up my hp pavilion dv8000 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

There are two main things that can help speed up a laptop: More memory or a faster hard drive.

I would first max out your memory. If it supports 4GB, then upgrade it.

For a hard drive, you can either get a faster regular hard drive, or for the ultimate speed, upgrade to an SSD.

There are two main things that can help speed up a laptop: More memory or a faster hard drive.

I would first max out your memory. If it supports 4GB, then upgrade it.

For a hard drive, you can either get a faster regular hard drive, or for the ultimate speed, upgrade to an SSD.

Solution

grocho53

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
It 's listed on the stamping as DV8000...

hi could you give a more specific model number, becuase under dv8000, there are these laptops:

» HP Pavilion dv8000t CTO Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8002EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8005EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8010EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8013cl Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8013xx Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8025EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8026EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8027EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8028EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8029EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8030EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8035EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8040ca Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8040us Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8040xx Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8045EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8050EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8051EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8075EA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8088us Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv8099xx Notebook PC

grocho53

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
What I was thinkibng of doing was a faster CPU: My memory is maxed out. And the hard drive is only 1/4 full...So CPU makes more sense to me..?? is what would be an upgradable CPU for what I have that will increase the processing speed and fit in my laptop.it has an amd turion 64 ml -34, 1.79 GHz with 2 gb of ram.

It is almost impossible to upgrade the CPU in a laptop. Assuming the CPU is socketed, and the BIOS supports faster CPUs than originally supplied, and the MB allows you to change the bus speed if needed, and the heat sink supports a higher wattage CPU, then sure, you can change the CPU!

Going with an SSD is still the best way to make your laptop seem faster.

debjoe221

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
i don't know why nobody answer your question.... you might be able to find a 2.4 turion 64 processor. most other upgrades for processor will be in sempron, socket 754. cheaper to upgrade motherboard and processor and fan or buy new laptop... money is your biggest factor. how fast do you want to go.....

grocho53

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Any suggestions for AN SSD HARDDRIVE?

grocho53

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

any suggestions on a fast SSD harddrive for my HP?

Greenwater Scuba

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I would like to speed up my laptop HP Pavilian DV8040us.
What information do you need from me help me speed this thing up?

Thank You

May 3, 2022
I know I'm over a decade over when this thread started, but I have a pro tip for anyone who still has an HP Pavilion Dv8000 (AMD, not the Intel model). If you want to try to overclock the pc to run faster, here's how:
Don't.
Just buy another laptop.
Please.
I bought a Pavilion Dv8000 off of my friend in excellent condition last year. It certainly aged over the years since it's initial release date but it still got the job done, considering all I used it for was burning CD's and managing files.
Whenever I'd stress the computer out, it always got hot. For instance, I refused to let the Pavilion sit on my lap because the bottom would get so hot during use that it felt like it was burning my leg. It didn't bother me at the time, because heat from electronics is natural.
But.
That heat lead to a much bigger problem.
One sunday, I had used the Dv8000 all day, and by the time i went to sleep at night, it was scorching hot, so I let it sit. Woke up the next morning and tried to turn it on.
The Power and Charging indicator lights at the bottom came on and the fan spun for a second, and i could very slightly see the LCD twitch for a split second as if the motherboard was communicating with the screen just fine, but it wouldn't display anything at all after that. After that though, no life. Just an idling computer with no display and no input or output to anything. I couldnt click or hold the power button to shut it off, i had to physically remove the battery from the bottom compartment.
The AMD unit had baked itself from excessive heat and the solder points on the board around it all needed reflowing.

Now, yes, you can pay to have this fixed, but given the age of the laptop it really isn't worth it.
I ended up just salvaging the RAM and HDD.

This was a very bad issue with Hewlett-Packards computers from around this time from what I know. The Dv8000 is a decently powerful laptop, but with poorly manufactured cooling and regulation parts.

So, if you would like to overclock that computer, I highly recommend you don't, unless you have the Intel model. I haven't heard of anyone that has this issue with the Intel models.
And if you're going to risk it and overclock it anyways, I wish you luck.
From what i understand, if you put heat and stress on these laptops, this problem is inevitable; just a matter of when it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.