[SOLVED] Speedtest - Upload speed 0.00 to 0.01 Mbps

cchadwick

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I have recently encountered strange behavior on my PC where I am no longer able to reliably connect to online games, and now even basic web searches have issues. In the process of diagnosing my connection issues, I've run Speedtest (using the web version, downloadable version, and Google's version) and am getting reported upload speeds of 0.00 Mbps. It briefly spikes to 1-2 when the test begins, but then quickly drops down to <0.05 and slowly ticks down to an ultimate value of 0.00 (occasionally Google's version will stay at 0.01 if I'm "lucky"). Upload speeds are typically 100-180Mbps, with pings around 10-20ms, though I do also occasionally have issues where it tells me there's no Internet connected. Obviously some data is getting uploaded, but it's clearly not at a consistent level.

This is the only computer in the house that is having this issue. We have a brand new Nighthawk AX8 Wifi router, and every other computer (both hardwired and Wifi) has upload speeds around 10Mbps. My connection issues predated the new router, which was our first attempt to fix my problem, and we've changed no settings on the Nighthawk other than the initial firmware update, just used it straight out of the box.

My PC is an i5-6600 on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 (no onboard wifi). I am using a Netgear AC1200 USB adapter and have Windows 10. I have plugged the wifi adapter into another PC, and it works fine. Using the identical model from another PC does not fix the problem. I have tried every USB port available (both front- and rear-panel), with no change. Disabling antivirus (Avira free version) or Windows Defender has no effect. Laptops used on my desk work fine, so it's not a location interference issue.

I'm about at wits end. Any suggestions?

Solution
Great job on narrowing down the issue! Yep, it does sound like a usb issue. Do other usb devices work? I'd check to see if you can reload the motherboard chipset drivers.

kanewolf

Titan
I have recently encountered strange behavior on my PC where I am no longer able to reliably connect to online games, and now even basic web searches have issues. In the process of diagnosing my connection issues, I've run Speedtest (using the web version, downloadable version, and Google's version) and am getting reported upload speeds of 0.00 Mbps. It briefly spikes to 1-2 when the test begins, but then quickly drops down to <0.05 and slowly ticks down to an ultimate value of 0.00 (occasionally Google's version will stay at 0.01 if I'm "lucky"). Upload speeds are typically 100-180Mbps, with pings around 10-20ms, though I do also occasionally have issues where it tells me there's no Internet connected. Obviously some data is getting uploaded, but it's clearly not at a consistent level.

This is the only computer in the house that is having this issue. We have a brand new Nighthawk AX8 Wifi router, and every other computer (both hardwired and Wifi) has upload speeds around 10Mbps. My connection issues predated the new router, which was our first attempt to fix my problem, and we've changed no settings on the Nighthawk other than the initial firmware update, just used it straight out of the box.

My PC is an i5-6600 on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 (no onboard wifi). I am using a Netgear AC1200 USB adapter and have Windows 10. I have plugged the wifi adapter into another PC, and it works fine. Using the identical model from another PC does not fix the problem. I have tried every USB port available (both front- and rear-panel), with no change. Disabling antivirus (Avira free version) or Windows Defender has no effect. Laptops used on my desk work fine, so it's not a location interference issue.

I'm about at wits end. Any suggestions?
Is that Netgear AC1200 a "nano" adapter? If so they are junk. There is no room for a large antenna. If you must use USB WIFI, get an adapter like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 It has large antennas and includes an extender cord to allow you to move it out from behind your PC.

cchadwick

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Is that Netgear AC1200 a "nano" adapter? If so they are junk. There is no room for a large antenna. If you must use USB WIFI, get an adapter like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 It has large antennas and includes an extender cord to allow you to move it out from behind your PC.

Be that as it may, this setup was working fine for several months, it's only recently that I've noticed problems (which has gotten significantly worse the last week or two). I also have it connected to the front panel, so it sits above the PC already.

kanewolf

Titan
Be that as it may, this setup was working fine for several months, it's only recently that I've noticed problems (which has gotten significantly worse the last week or two). I also have it connected to the front panel, so it sits above the PC already.
All it takes is a little bit more interference. A cell phone as a hot spot, your neighbors get a new router. Whatever.

cchadwick

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
All it takes is a little bit more interference. A cell phone as a hot spot, your neighbors get a new router. Whatever.
But wouldn't I see that reflected in the download speeds, or when using my laptop in the same physical space? I'm not opposed to trying a new adapter, but it's a temporary setup, so I'd prefer not to spend a lot on something I hope to only need for another month or two before going back to hardwired Ethernet.

I did just try using the extender cord that came with the adapter based on your post, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

You have tried all the simple ways to fix this. The most common reason for download and upload to be different is that router transmits at a higher power than your nic. So you can hear the router but the router is having issues hearing your nic card. Those nano devices transmit at low power to save battery which of course does matter on a desktop. Those nic are designed to be used on portable equipment where battery life is as important as performance.

The device could have also failed and now be transmitting even less power. Failure of the microwave amplifier is the most common type of failure in wifi chips.

To test if it is the nano adapter or the computer, run a long ethernet cable and plug your computer directly into the router (move the computer if you need to). Run the same speed tests and if they don't improve, it's not the usb nic, but something else, and we can continue working on that.

DSzymborski

Titan
But wouldn't I see that reflected in the download speeds, or when using my laptop in the same physical space? I'm not opposed to trying a new adapter, but it's a temporary setup, so I'd prefer not to spend a lot on something I hope to only need for another month or two before going back to hardwired Ethernet.

I did just try using the extender cord that came with the adapter based on your post, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

You have to eliminate hardware wherever possible with a problem like this, even if the hardware itself seems unlikely (and I don't agree with you that it's unlikely as component failure is only sometimes a binary works/doesn't work issue).

cchadwick

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
To test if it is the nano adapter or the computer, run a long ethernet cable and plug your computer directly into the router (move the computer if you need to). Run the same speed tests and if they don't improve, it's not the usb nic, but something else, and we can continue working on that.

I drug the computer downstairs and plugged it directly into the router. It worked fine, so no issue with the ethernet drivers (at least when it's used through the motherboard).

I then took the USB wifi adapter from another computer that I knew worked and plugged it into my PC. Speedtest again showed a 0 Mbps upload speed, even though it was only feet from the wifi router and that exact same adapter worked fine on a computer placed further away. I haven't had any issues with other USB devices, but just in case, I tried every single USB port on the computer, and none of them worked. So it doesn't look like an issue with the wifi adapter itself, but something within my computer, quite possibly a software issue.

Obviously the short-term answer would be to buy a powerline adapter (assuming it would work, it's a fairly large house), but if there's some sort of incompatibility issue, I'd like to get it fixed since I'm planning on giving this particular computer to one of my kids within the next year and it would be impractical to run a hardline to their bedroom.