spell checker disabled in outlook express

Running 98 2nd, Windows Explorer(2), Outlook Express(2), Office(97), Browser-
Microsoft Internet Explorer. The spell checker works fine in Word/Office
programs but is grayed out on the standard buttons in outlook express and
there is no settings in the Tools-option-menu in outlook express. How do I
enable my spell checker in outlook express?

You'd do better to ask this question in an Outlook Express newsgroup. Off
hand, I'd run IE Repair to see if that fixes the problem. You don't mention
which version of IE/OE you are using, which knowledge would be particularly
helpful when trying to locate an answer. Open Internet Explorer, go to the
Help menu, then click on "About Internet Explorer" and tell us what version
you have.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"hugabunch" <donotspam@anyone.net> wrote in message
> Running 98 2nd, Windows Explorer(2), Outlook Express(2), Office(97),
> Browser-
> Microsoft Internet Explorer. The spell checker works fine in Word/Office
> programs but is grayed out on the standard buttons in outlook express and
> there is no settings in the Tools-option-menu in outlook express. How do
> enable my spell checker in outlook express?

Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2800.1106

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> You'd do better to ask this question in an Outlook Express newsgroup. Off
> hand, I'd run IE Repair to see if that fixes the problem. You don't mention
> which version of IE/OE you are using, which knowledge would be particularly
> helpful when trying to locate an answer. Open Internet Explorer, go to the
> Help menu, then click on "About Internet Explorer" and tell us what version
> you have.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "hugabunch" <donotspam@anyone.net> wrote in message
> > Running 98 2nd, Windows Explorer(2), Outlook Express(2), Office(97),
> > Browser-
> > Microsoft Internet Explorer. The spell checker works fine in Word/Office
> > programs but is grayed out on the standard buttons in outlook express and
> > there is no settings in the Tools-option-menu in outlook express. How do
> > enable my spell checker in outlook express?

"Glee" has the probably answers for you, then.

--

> Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2800.1106
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> You'd do better to ask this question in an Outlook Express newsgroup. Off
>> hand, I'd run IE Repair to see if that fixes the problem. You don't
>> mention
>> which version of IE/OE you are using, which knowledge would be
>> particularly
>> helpful when trying to locate an answer. Open Internet Explorer, go to
>> the
>> Help menu, then click on "About Internet Explorer" and tell us what
>> version
>> you have.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "hugabunch" <donotspam@anyone.net> wrote in message
>> > Running 98 2nd, Windows Explorer(2), Outlook Express(2), Office(97),
>> > Browser-
>> > Microsoft Internet Explorer. The spell checker works fine in
>> > Word/Office
>> > programs but is grayed out on the standard buttons in outlook express
>> > and
>> > there is no settings in the Tools-option-menu in outlook express. How
>> > do
>> > enable my spell checker in outlook express?

See here first:
http://www.billsway.com/notes_public/Fix_OE_SpellCheck.txt

If none of that fixes it, look in:
C:\|Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof
and
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express
for a file named CSAPI3T1.DLL

If it exists in the first location only, try copying it to the second location. If
that does not help, or the file already exists in both locations, rename them and
extract a new copy to both locations, from the Windows 98 CD or from the .cab file
location on your hard drive, using the "Extract one file" option of System File
Checker (SFC).

Using SFC to extract a file:
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5

Also have a look here:
http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html
Although it is for WinXP, much of it applies to Win98 also.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"hugabunch" <donotspam@anyone.net> wrote in message
> Running 98 2nd, Windows Explorer(2), Outlook Express(2), Office(97), Browser-
> Microsoft Internet Explorer. The spell checker works fine in Word/Office
> programs but is grayed out on the standard buttons in outlook express and
> there is no settings in the Tools-option-menu in outlook express. How do I
> enable my spell checker in outlook express?

This is going to be a bit of a challenge for me. Will keep you posted. A
friend said that my Office program may not be incompatible with outlook
express 6 as my Office/Word is 97, a slightly older program. Would this make
a difference?

"glee" wrote:

> See here first:
> http://www.billsway.com/notes_public/Fix_OE_SpellCheck.txt
>
> If none of that fixes it, look in:
> C:\|Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof
> and
> C:\Program Files\Outlook Express
> for a file named CSAPI3T1.DLL
>
> If it exists in the first location only, try copying it to the second location. If
> that does not help, or the file already exists in both locations, rename them and
> extract a new copy to both locations, from the Windows 98 CD or from the .cab file
> location on your hard drive, using the "Extract one file" option of System File
> Checker (SFC).
>
> Using SFC to extract a file:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
> http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp
>
> HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
>
> Also have a look here:
> http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html
> Although it is for WinXP, much of it applies to Win98 also.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "hugabunch" <donotspam@anyone.net> wrote in message
> > Running 98 2nd, Windows Explorer(2), Outlook Express(2), Office(97), Browser-
> > Microsoft Internet Explorer. The spell checker works fine in Word/Office
> > programs but is grayed out on the standard buttons in outlook express and
> > there is no settings in the Tools-option-menu in outlook express. How do I
> > enable my spell checker in outlook express?

It's not incompatible, but OE 6 does have a couple of potential problems
which Glen's advice deals with.

--

> This is going to be a bit of a challenge for me. Will keep you posted. A
> friend said that my Office program may not be incompatible with outlook
> express 6 as my Office/Word is 97, a slightly older program. Would this
> make
> a difference?
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
>> See here first:
>> http://www.billsway.com/notes_public/Fix_OE_SpellCheck.txt
>>
>> If none of that fixes it, look in:
>> C:\|Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof
>> and
>> C:\Program Files\Outlook Express
>> for a file named CSAPI3T1.DLL
>>
>> If it exists in the first location only, try copying it to the second
>> location. If
>> that does not help, or the file already exists in both locations, rename
>> them and
>> extract a new copy to both locations, from the Windows 98 CD or from the
>> .cab file
>> location on your hard drive, using the "Extract one file" option of
>> System File
>> Checker (SFC).
>>
>> Using SFC to extract a file:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp
>>
>> HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
>>
>> Also have a look here:
>> http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html
>> Although it is for WinXP, much of it applies to Win98 also.
>> --
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "hugabunch" <donotspam@anyone.net> wrote in message
>> > Running 98 2nd, Windows Explorer(2), Outlook Express(2), Office(97),
>> > Browser-
>> > Microsoft Internet Explorer. The spell checker works fine in
>> > Word/Office
>> > programs but is grayed out on the standard buttons in outlook express
>> > and
>> > there is no settings in the Tools-option-menu in outlook express. How
>> > do I
>> > enable my spell checker in outlook express?

No. I have a system here with OE6 and Word 97...spellchecker works fine.