Spend Money on CPU or SSD for Office Computer

adefeatedman

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
All:

I'm looking to upgrade my work computer over the winter. Most of the time, I am opening and closing documents and using Adobe Acrobat. The load times for opening larger files and opening multiple documents at once is starting to annoy me, so it's time to upgrade.

Current office build:

FX-6300
Gigabyte 990fx UD5
Sandisk SSD Plus SSD
16gb 1600mhz DDR3

Basically, I've retired all of my old gaming PC parts to my work computer, but my old gaming motherboard/cpu was repurposed, so I'm starting from scratch here. I'd like to stay around $300 for the motherboard/cpu combo (perhaps Ryzen 5 2600) and keep my current SSD, but I'm wondering if I would be better off allocating my budget towards getting a faster SSD for my application with less cpu (say a Ryzen 3 along with a Samsung 970 Evo). In truth, I don't know if opening applications and saving large Adobe Acrobat files uses more cpu or hard drive resources.

I know we are talking seconds in the end of the day, but I run a volume business and it's mostly for future proofing and my sanity.

Thanks in advance,

-Jacob

Lutfij

Titan
You're on the FX platform, I'd say getting a new platform altogether. BUT you will need to factor in a DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit with a B450 chispet in order to get the best out of your Ryzen 2 purchase. With the SSD, you can open apps faster but if they are to save on a mechancial drive, then you'll see some bog downs.

What is the make and model of your PSU? How old is it?

Better yet, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

st4rburst

Proper
May 10, 2018
For the most part SSD speed differences are only noticeable in tests and specific high performance req. tasks. Your single greatest gain will be from the cpu and the re-installation of windows to go with it, backup your docs, and a clean system with new cpu will be way more noticeable than the SSD change.

Although like Lutfij said, you need to factor in the memory platform change too. DDR3 to DDR4

adefeatedman

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
CPU: AMD FX6300 (about 4 years old)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 R5 (about 3 years old)
Ram: G Skill Ripjaws X (4 x 4gb) (about 3 years old)
SSD/HDD: Transcend 512GB MLC SATA (about 3 years old)
GPU: MSI 660TI (about 6 years old)
PSU: XFX P1-750B-CAG9 750W Black Edition (about 8 years old)
Chassis: Fractal Design Define R4

Thanks for the replies. I can't believe how old some of those parts are!

TRENDING THREADS