SPIED: Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 Fermi Board Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
With every little news blurb, my stomach gets this sick feeling... Sincere prayer: Dear God, I hope Fermi succeeds! (But only so I can pick up my HD5870 for cheap!) Amen.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]With every little news blurb, my stomach gets this sick feeling... Sincere prayer: Dear God, I hope Fermi succeeds! (But only so I can pick up my HD5870 for cheap!) Amen.[/citation]

You and me both, brother. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a 58xx yet is because I'm waiting to see if nVidia's launch either (a) drops the price of the 5xxx cards, or (b) coincides with ATI releasing an HD 5890. Either way, or even if neither of those events occurs, ATI gets my business once Fermi launches!

[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]why did they censor the the motherboard connector? We all know it is going to be PCIe 2.0 x16... oops was I not supposed to say that?[/citation]

Agreed I wonder my self and they must have something to hide. PCI-e has been around for ages so my guess is that it has a few extra pin or a another or different notch vs the standard universal layout. If true this is going to be a true bitch of a card in a bad way. Every one who still wants this card may end up getting a new board LAME. If wrong (I HOPE) then a few years I just might scratch that itch and add this to my collection while I am still on the hunt for other cards like the extremely rare 3DFX Rampage.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
The only guess I have is they're covering the PCI-e slots so you do not know if it's just 2.0 or if it's a new 2.1 connection.

marcusmurphy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]There are also two SLI connectors[/citation]
They are actually called fingers, since they are a part of the board and not soldered on.. connectors can give the wrong impression.

G

Fermi: The Pentium IV and the Itanium aka Itanic all rolled into one... I guess the GF104 is due out a few months after the GF100? ROFL...

itheral

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I would take a guess blacking out the Pcie port was Marcus's attempt at humor. (naughty bits and all) I can't imagine anything extraordinary nv could do with a pcie port..

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I wish they would release this already. AMD knows they have the performance crown in GPUs and they aren't holding back on prices. I mean what tech do we know of that has gotten more expensive 6 months after it has released? Or for the mobile GPUs, more expensive by the week in laptops they are in. Its ludicrous, we might go back up to 2004 GPU prices.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
That chip is 4cmX4cm. Yeilds are gonna be in the toilet.
But who cares? It'll still make AMD cut prices on their chips (that we probably should have all bought a year ago when Fermi was "set to release".)

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
eVGA staff have stated on the eVGA forums that the 480 will do three and four way SLI on their 4 way capable boards!

nVidia also posted a video on youtube that includes benchmark (heaven) results showing it absolutely smoke a 5870 (30fps faster in the "tough" parts. I hope the third party benches are as good when they start to turn up!

Status
Not open for further replies.