[SOLVED] Spike in CPU temp

anders99dk

Commendable
Jun 7, 2018
Hey,

During the past week/few weeks i have noticed a spike in my CPU temp which is really bothering me. I use HWMonitor to monitor my temps and I'll make sure to link a picture of what I am experiencing.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LARo9TS

I reckon the temps might be reasonable, but it is the spike that is worrying to me and i would obviously like to keep my CPU as cool as possible. I am hoping it could potentially be fixed with a settings tweak, seeing as the temperature increase has happended out of nowhere. Usually I'd MAX reach 65 celcius, whereas 65 seems like the norm now and it occasionally goes up to 70/72 celcius.

I am playing the same games as i previously have and there has been no change in work tasks. I recently changed my ram to a faster speed ram, could this has something to do with it? I feel inclined to rule out of dust, since all my other temperatures are at the completely same level as they have always been.

I am open to all suggestions, thanks for reading!

Solution
running faster RAM could actually heat it up a little more....but, that would be expected to a small degree. (You could reinstall original RAM to confirm that if you are feeling a tad 'let's experiment!'

If that is an 8400/9400 CPU, with an Intel factory cooler, they are not known for cooling very well, being considered quite marginal under a heavy load to the point of even allowing thermal throttling under some heavy loads such as Blender, etc.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How have ambient temperatures been?
If your room temp has increased a couple of degrees, it's only natural your components will increase proportionately, or maybe a little more.

What CPU, specifically? Which cooler? I can't imagine those being 'bad' temps for any modern CPU...

running faster RAM could actually heat it up a little more....but, that would be expected to a small degree. (You could reinstall original RAM to confirm that if you are feeling a tad 'let's experiment!'

If that is an 8400/9400 CPU, with an Intel factory cooler, they are not known for cooling very well, being considered quite marginal under a heavy load to the point of even allowing thermal throttling under some heavy loads such as Blender, etc.

Solution