[SOLVED] Spiking CPU Temperatures

tewbert

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
Hey all,

Recently my GPU temps were running pretty high, so i replaced my GTX 1060 for an RTX 2060 and a 500 PS for 850W. After i replaced them, my computer was crashing 5-8 times a day whether i was playing games or simply had a work document opened.

I downloaded CoreTemp and saw my CPU (i7-7700 @ 3.6 quad core) temps would spike by 20C randomly so I cleaned out my CPU fan and the temperatures got better, but i was still crashing once a week. Today I cleaned my thermal paste off the heatsink/chip and reapplied. As soon as I opened a game all 4 cores immediately spiked to 90C but are sitting ~45C idle.

Any idea what the issue might be? CPU fans are working and at 100% speed so i don't know if it's just a bad CPU, something with the power supply, or something completely different.

Thanks!

Solution
At this point I don't think it's anything with the chassis, I have the sides off for more airflow, it has 2 fans in it, AC in my room is blowing.
And what's happening to the temps with the above going on? Because that's some ridiculous spiking, considering you don't have the K version.

EDIT: Check your current bios version in bios, then check the product support page for an update that 'fixes vcore voltages'.

tewbert

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
Cpu spiking to 90C like that means the cooler wasn't properly mounted. Do it again, if you have some spare thermal paste.
What cooler are you using?

It's all stock fans.

I'll remount it, but cpu temps were spiking even before i redid the paste. I found an article online that said it's common for this processor to spike to 90C and intel basically said <Mod Edit> off it's a feature, so it might just be a <Mod Edit> CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Stock cooler - so, the push-pins.
They're mounted by doing 2 at a time, diagonally, turning the pins until they CLICK - they must click.

I agree the stock coolers aren't great, but they were okay, until they started adding cores...

What's the chassis model? You may need to move some more air through it too.

tewbert

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
I remounted, did the 2 pins diagonally then the other two, everything clicked into place and the thing won't budge. Removed the thermal paste and reapplied it. Rebooted and temps immediately spike to 95C-100C with around 70C with on chrome tab open.

At this point I don't think it's anything with the chassis, I have the sides off for more airflow, it has 2 fans in it, AC in my room is blowing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And what's happening to the temps with the above going on? Because that's some ridiculous spiking, considering you don't have the K version.

EDIT: Check your current bios version in bios, then check the product support page for an update that 'fixes vcore voltages'.

Last edited:
Solution