[SOLVED] Spill liquid on laptop

Gamdjdj

Reputable
Jul 23, 2017
7
0
4,510
0
Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I spilled a can of sofa on my laptop, it was enough to cover the half of the keyboard (the number pad and arrow keys) as well as the touchpad of laptop.

My laptop was turned off when I spilled soda on it accidently, I cleaned it using a towel- the keys, touch pad and general laptop surface. I flipped the laptop and wiped the water from behind as well.

I turned on laptop, it did turn on, the screen looks normal, keys are working (for now)

It's been 9 hours since the spill, it's fine for now. I want to ask if I should be concerned or not? Can my laptop stop working anytime from now? I don't see any wet spots on my laptop, I'm not sure about insides.
 

Satan-IR

Distinguished
Ambassador
It's been almost 12 hours since this happened, and I've not seen any signs yet. Is there still a chance that short circuit may happen or the liquid droplets must be evaporated by now? I've played on it for some time with fans at max speed, the internal temperature was high as well, do you think it can dry the liquid inside if there was any?

And one question that's concerning me- how long can it take for water damage to actually occur? Does it happen instantly or gradually? What will be the results? What are the first signs of water damage in most cases?
Hopefully there won't be a problem later on. Liquid spills usually damage the same instant esoecially if the system is on/working and electricity is runing through the different circuits (everywhere) because they short circuit places of the system that are not supposed to come into contact with each other.

If the laptop was off and you dried it instantly and it's been working since with no problem it might be OK later on as well. Can't really say 100%.
 

Satan-IR

Distinguished
Ambassador
The laptop still working is very lucky. I suggest you backup any data/personal files you might need.

The fact that it is working might mean that the liquid missed any parts where it might have caused a fatal short circuit but there's no guarantee it'd be OK.

I would have it checked by a qualified service center or technician.
 

Gamdjdj

Reputable
Jul 23, 2017
7
0
4,510
0
The laptop still working is very lucky. I suggest you backup any data/personal files you might need.

The fact that it is working might mean that the liquid missed any parts where it might have caused a fatal short circuit but there's no guarantee it'd be OK.

I would have it checked by a qualified service center or technician.
It's been almost 12 hours since this happened, and I've not seen any signs yet. Is there still a chance that short circuit may happen or the liquid droplets must be evaporated by now? I've played on it for some time with fans at max speed, the internal temperature was high as well, do you think it can dry the liquid inside if there was any?

And one question that's concerning me- how long can it take for water damage to actually occur? Does it happen instantly or gradually? What will be the results? What are the first signs of water damage in most cases?
 

Satan-IR

Distinguished
Ambassador
It's been almost 12 hours since this happened, and I've not seen any signs yet. Is there still a chance that short circuit may happen or the liquid droplets must be evaporated by now? I've played on it for some time with fans at max speed, the internal temperature was high as well, do you think it can dry the liquid inside if there was any?

And one question that's concerning me- how long can it take for water damage to actually occur? Does it happen instantly or gradually? What will be the results? What are the first signs of water damage in most cases?
Hopefully there won't be a problem later on. Liquid spills usually damage the same instant esoecially if the system is on/working and electricity is runing through the different circuits (everywhere) because they short circuit places of the system that are not supposed to come into contact with each other.

If the laptop was off and you dried it instantly and it's been working since with no problem it might be OK later on as well. Can't really say 100%.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS