[SOLVED] Spilled about 6 oz of water into tower... advice?

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Okay, so I'm stupid. Let's get that out of the way. I had a mostly empty glass of water sitting on my tower to make room on my desk. My dogs bumped my tower off its stand, and the water went right in the top vent.

Instantly screen went black, and the audio started buzzing. Took about 6 seconds for me to turn it off.

Took everything apart, looks like the GPU board caught up about 90% of it.

Dried it all up, gave it overnight, and today it'll start up, but nothing on my screen.

It's a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 and a FX6300 CPU. Is there anyway to test individual components?

I'm assuming it's almost all fecked but money is tight so I'd rather not rebuild the entire computer at this point.

Any advice?

Solution
Unfortunately, the only real way to test most parts is either testing other parts in your PC or your parts in another PC.

One good bit of fortune is this is one of those AM3+ motherboards that actually had very basic integrated graphics, so you should at least be able to see if the problem is just the GPU by removing it entirely and going with the on-board Radeon HD 3000 graphics. Though don't plan on playing anything more strenuous than Solitaire with it!

Other than testing, all you can do is drive and pray (I'd recommend a few days, not overnight, given all the nooks and crannies in a PC for water to find).

DSzymborski

Titan
Unfortunately, the only real way to test most parts is either testing other parts in your PC or your parts in another PC.

One good bit of fortune is this is one of those AM3+ motherboards that actually had very basic integrated graphics, so you should at least be able to see if the problem is just the GPU by removing it entirely and going with the on-board Radeon HD 3000 graphics. Though don't plan on playing anything more strenuous than Solitaire with it!

Other than testing, all you can do is drive and pray (I'd recommend a few days, not overnight, given all the nooks and crannies in a PC for water to find).

Solution

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017

Well I tried it with the card unplugged, and still no luck. I'm sure with my luck, just a small amount of water got in just the right spot that fried my MOBO and everything attached to it, lol.

AT LEAST MY CHEAP ASS PSU LIVED THOUGH lol

DSzymborski

Titan
Well I tried it with the card unplugged, and still no luck. I'm sure with my luck, just a small amount of water got in just the right spot that fried my MOBO and everything attached to it, lol.

AT LEAST MY CHEAP ASS PSU LIVED THOUGH lol

Do you know anyone that can help you out testing for parts? Or possibly a local shop that may be helpful? In a lot of cases, a computer store with a good return policy like Fry's can be helpful for testing these things, but you're not likely to find new AM3+ motherboards very often.

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Do you know anyone that can help you out testing for parts? Or possibly a local shop that may be helpful? In a lot of cases, a computer store with a good return policy like Fry's can be helpful for testing these things, but you're not likely to find new AM3+ motherboards very often.
Nah. I live in a small town, we don't even have a Best Buy within an hour and a half, lol.

My buddy has everything BUT a GPU he'd sell me cheap, but he's also an hour and a half away AND if it does end up needing everything, I'm just gonna upgrade everything anyway. It was getting old, but it still worked.

I'll probably never be able to find a 6GB 1060 for $140 again either lol

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Just an update:

Tried booting it without GFX Card hooked up, no difference. Tried using just one of each RAM stick, in either slot, no luck.

I'm going to try my backup PSU just to rule that out, but I'm assuming the MOBO is fried so I have some new hardware on order. Figure if the PSU (which is under the GFX Card AND under it's own vented shelf) was bad, it wouldn't power on at all, but who knows can't hurt to try. I need to take it apart anyway to get it ready for cleaning/new parts.

Honestly it needed done anyway, I just wish it could have waited till I was ready.

Unrelated, but is doing a fresh MOBO install the same first-boot process as installing a fresh hard drive?