[SOLVED] Spilled Coffee on my laptop, and that make my keyboard doesn't work even with external keyboard

Nov 15, 2018
Hey can I ask you something, last week I spilled a coffee on my laptop, and that's make some of my keyboard key doesn't work, and sometime clicked on its own, and even if I using external keyboard it doesn't work, example when I try click "K" on my external keyboard its does't registered at all because it one of they key on my keyboard who doesn't work (broke because of coffee), and after I bring it to costumer service they said there some of leftover coffee that already dry on my motherboard.... and they suggest to change the motherboard to the new one and it so damn expensive
My question is can I just replace the broken keyboard on my laptop and change it to new one?? and ignore the leftover of the coffee on my motherboard? or can I just clean it with something??, I'm kinda scared because I think is there any change if even I change my keyboard laptop it doesn't work, because when I using external keyboard there is some key that's not registered or working same like on my keyboard laptop.... (sorry for my bad English)

Solution
It's not the keyboard that is broken. Well, it is, but thats only part of it.

Someone needs to take the whole thing apart and actually clean it.

Running the laptop after the spill, while it was still wet, may have shorted something out.
And at the very least, there is a bunch of dried gunk inside. That needs to be cleaned out.

Or, it may actually need a new motherboard. Can't fix or ignore a fried component.

USAFRet

Titan
It's not the keyboard that is broken. Well, it is, but thats only part of it.

Someone needs to take the whole thing apart and actually clean it.

Running the laptop after the spill, while it was still wet, may have shorted something out.
And at the very least, there is a bunch of dried gunk inside. That needs to be cleaned out.

Or, it may actually need a new motherboard. Can't fix or ignore a fried component.

Solution
Nov 15, 2018

it's already been a week since the incident, and the coffee already been dryed.. but when I try using keyboard external it still doesn't work some of they key is not registered

Nov 15, 2018

its already been a week, my laptop is still on like normal.. but the keyboard is the problem... there is some key that does't work even if I try using external keyboard... is there any suggestion to fix it?? or there a problem on my motherboard?? because of that coffee?? if change the keyboard of my laptop can end my problem or not??

USAFRet

Titan

Yes...dried gunk inside.
And the initial spill may have shorted something.

Yes, my suggestion is to remove the keyboard that is built into the laptop. USAFRet also has solid advice and as he said the damage may already be done, but if the problem is just confined to the keyboard then removing it might allow the external keyboard to work again. I was thinking that some keys are "stuck" in the "ON" position and that's why the external keyboard doesn't work. What is the model of your laptop? We can find the service manual to see how to remove the keyboard.

Nov 15, 2018

What should I use to clean it??

Nov 15, 2018

Yes, my suggestion is to remove the keyboard that is built into the laptop. USAFRet also has solid advice and as he said the damage may already be done, but if the problem is just confined to the keyboard then removing it might allow the external keyboard to work again. I was thinking that some keys are "stuck" in the "ON" position and that's why the external keyboard doesn't work. What is the model of your laptop? We can find the service manual to see how to remove the keyboard.[/quotemsg]
my laptop is asus gl553ve

Nov 15, 2018

What kind of alcohol is that?? And what % should I use and how?