[SOLVED] Spilled drink on PC - what needs replacing?

scotteyy

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
So I very stupidly spilled about 1/4 of a can of coke through the top of my case. I turned it off straight away and unplugged. I took everything out and dabbed any wet patches with a paper towel then used a hair dryer on each part at a distance and left to dry for a further 12 hours. I know I probably didn’t wait long enough.

Anyway I turned it on and it worked for a while then suddenly my Ethernet connection went so I restarted it. After that it powers up however my motherboard (ASUS ROG strix b-450 f) shows a red light and nothing comes up on the display. Unfortunately I don’t have another PC to test my parts.

So basically I’m wondering what parts are likely to be at fault? I’m assuming motherboard due to red light and Ethernet connection going however would be good to get some feedback before I spend the money replacing it.

Cheers

Edit: Thought id add, no smell of burning or crackling or popping of any sort. The hardware “looks” completely fine

Last edited:
Solution
Sugary drinks like Coke, will corrode PC components (traces, soldering points, etc.), even after it appears dry.
Try cleaning the components that came in contact with the beverage with 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol.

I have placed entire motherboards and GPUs on 99% isopropyl alcohol bath to remove sugary drinks from crevices such as RAM & PCIe slots.
Sugary drinks like Coke, will corrode PC components (traces, soldering points, etc.), even after it appears dry.
Try cleaning the components that came in contact with the beverage with 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol.

I have placed entire motherboards and GPUs on 99% isopropyl alcohol bath to remove sugary drinks from crevices such as RAM & PCIe slots.

Solution

scotteyy

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018

I will get some isopropyl alcohol tomorrow, how long would I bath them for if I was to do the complete thing? I assume I’d want to give it a good 48 hours to dry after doing this as well? To be honest I think the GPU probably took the brunt of it, however based on the red light I assume the motherboards gone as well...

I will get some isopropyl alcohol tomorrow, how long would I bath them for if I was to do the complete thing? I assume I’d want to give it a good 48 hours to dry after doing this as well? To be honest I think the GPU probably took the brunt of it, however based on the red light I assume the motherboards gone as well...
You should clean the components with a soft toothbrush and a lint free cloth.
Let each one sit for 5-8 minutes, so the alcohol have time to dissolve and remove the sugary beverage.
Be aware that alcohol will dissolve paint and stickers applied to components. Those stickers could have warranty, specs and other info.

All components (CPU, RAM, SSD, etc.) should be removed from motherboard.
If you clean a GPU, the fan, heatsink and fan shroud should be remove. Do not dip fans in alcohol. Alcohol will remove lubricant, which makes the fans operate.

After cleaning the components, let then dry for at leas 6-10 hours (alcohol dries very fast).

You will have to re-apply thermal compound to GPU and CPU before installing the heatsinks.

scotteyy

Commendable
Oct 12, 2018
You should clean the components with a soft toothbrush and a lint free cloth.
Let each one sit for 5-8 minutes, so the alcohol have time to dissolve and remove the sugary beverage.
Be aware that alcohol will dissolve paint and stickers applied to components. Those stickers could have warranty, specs and other info.

All components (CPU, RAM, SSD, etc.) should be removed from motherboard.
If you clean a GPU, the fan, heatsink and fan shroud should be remove. Do not dip fans in alcohol. Alcohol will remove lubricant, which makes the fans operate.

After cleaning the components, let then dry for at leas 6-10 hours (alcohol dries very fast).

You will have to re-apply thermal compound to GPU and CPU before installing the heatsinks.

Thanks for the info, going to give this a try today. If this isn’t to work any guesses as to which part I would need to replace? My guesses would be motherboard and GPU, I assume if PSU was gone then I wouldn’t even get power?