Spilled Drink on Top of PC

Nov 16, 2017
1. I spilled my drink on top of a pals pc.

2. I was very stupid in doing so.

3. Probably 1 - 1.5 ounces fell through the top of the PC.

4. The screen froze, and then turned off.

5. We ripped the power out and pulled out the components to find liquid on top of the power supply, brief traces on the motherboard.

6. I have each part drying on paper towels and the PC is untouched.

Questions:

1.) Should I take any further actions?

2.) What are my options?

3.) What should I expect?

4.) What's the worst case scenario?

5.) How long should I wait?

I'm lending him my PC and going to pay for all damages. I am just wondering what the troubleshooting process is, and how much I may expect to pay to fix this. Is there a chance it may work again? Thanks to any comments

Solution
1. yes, you should. Try to take the parts off the mobo [RAM, GPU, etc] and let them all dry up, use a fan if u have one, leave it for a whole night, after doing all of these, test the components [1 by 1 if necessary] to check whether everything's fine / only 1 part got damaged / they're all dead...
2. do everything i mentioned above / just told your friend that it's dead and then pay up
3. expect to replace the whole thing with the new PC, PC component getting wet when they're turned on = never good
4. "it's dead jim"
5. at least 1 day to make sure all component has dry up

how much should u pay? depends on his system spec, i'd say u have to pay up for something at least on par with his old one

is there a chance for it to work again...
1. yes, you should. Try to take the parts off the mobo [RAM, GPU, etc] and let them all dry up, use a fan if u have one, leave it for a whole night, after doing all of these, test the components [1 by 1 if necessary] to check whether everything's fine / only 1 part got damaged / they're all dead...
2. do everything i mentioned above / just told your friend that it's dead and then pay up
3. expect to replace the whole thing with the new PC, PC component getting wet when they're turned on = never good
4. "it's dead jim"
5. at least 1 day to make sure all component has dry up

how much should u pay? depends on his system spec, i'd say u have to pay up for something at least on par with his old one

is there a chance for it to work again? after trying everything i've told you, ur best bet might be to take it to the pro, gonna cost some money but maybe they had the solution / at least can save some of the parts... that or u're just spending more money on something that's already dead....

PS:
all the trick i mentioned above are based on my experience, as my PC got wet because of a leakage... TWICE! thank god it's still work right to this day [but during the incident, my PC isn't turned on, so i can't say for sure...]

good luck mate with your problem, i hope u can solve it ASAP :D

Solution

TRENDING THREADS