Spilled pop on my graphics card

freddy4108

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello,

I spilled pop on my graphics card I don't believe it touched anything else the screen went black almost instantly and i powered off the computer. I wiped off my graphics card and I rebooted the computer.. The startup screen comes up i think that is called the BIOS and everything looks fine but then once it gets past the bios to the Screen that asks if you want to start windows in safe mode ect... Its like white lines acrossed the screen but i can still see part of the screen I'm wondering if my grahpics card is fried or if i can save it somehow please help!

Hi,

What happens when you start in safe mode or normal mode ?

If you can boot up, go ahead and a play a game.

If the computer shuts down, get a weird screen but the computer still runs (you hear game music and such)

You card is dead, if not you are very lucky: get a lottery ticket!!

Was the system on when this happened? You must have gotten some on the motherboard too, and most soda has some acid in it. Use a Q-tip and some alcohol and remove any spots of the pop off the VGA card and the motherboard check the expansion slots too. Be gentle and only on the spots of soda. Let the boards dry completely. It may be too late to save both but it's worth a try.

freddy4108

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Its Zotac Gtx 560 Ti and I don't think it was the motherboard because I was able to get to the windows login screen and it looked like the image i posted expect you could see the screen pretty clearly expect for the fact there were white lines going across it and also i swapped out the graphics card and i was able to game last night so does that mean the motherboard is okay since i was able to game at a stable level?

freddy4108

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Also there was some corrosion on some but not all of the soldering points... (it was a greenish color) but im not sure if thats corrosion ethier way i thought i should let you know.

freddy4108

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Do you mean do i have another graphics card yes... that is the one i put in after i found out my 560ti was toast. Are you sure my card is toast i mean is there anything I can do to save my 560ti because I heard you could like wash them in the dishwasher and then they work

no the card CAN NOT be salvaged. I repeat CAN NOT be salvaged. If you have plugged up your back up graphics card and still can not get a display. If you have corrosion on your motherboard or acid from the Soda then you are definitely going to have to get a new motherboard as well. These things happen to people all the time.. Usually there is nothing you can do but buy replacement parts. The warranty sure doesn't cover it