[SOLVED] Spilled small amount of water on PC

coreyellis9583

Reputable
Dec 25, 2017
PC had small amount of water spilled on it and now it will turn on but will not display to my monitor

specs: (if needed)
EVGA 1060 3gb
G4560
16GB 2133MHz ram

Solution
Where did the water spill, and how much is a small amount?
If you can't recover windows it might mean your "hdd" is damaged as well(along with your graphics card) or it could mean your mobo is damaged. Or you could have shorted your PSU and several components are damaged. Or it's just your PSU and everything else is fine.

If you have another system you can test other components aside from your power supply. (A bad psu can kill another system so don't bother trying)

Try another power supply
Try another gpu with new power supply
Try another mobo with new power supply
Try another cpu with new power supply

Make sure new psu is working first obviously.
Testing a new mobo is definitely a pain but the rest shouldn't be too troublesome.
PC had small amount of water spilled on it and now it will turn on but will not display to my monitor

specs: (if needed)
EVGA 1060 3gb
G4560
16GB 2133MHz ram
Did you take the pc apart to dry it? Could you see where the water went and on which components? Once absolutely sure the pc is dry take out the 1060 and connect the monitor to the motherboard. If the pc now works you killed the gpu. If the pc doesn’t work you are going to need to start swapping parts to find what has been damaged, I’d start with psu and motherboard.

coreyellis9583

Reputable
Dec 25, 2017
Did you take the pc apart to dry it? Could you see where the water went and on which components? Once absolutely sure the pc is dry take out the 1060 and connect the monitor to the motherboard. If the pc now works you killed the gpu. If the pc doesn’t work you are going to need to start swapping parts to find what has been damaged, I’d start with psu and motherboard.
I removed the gpu and there is no visible water damage however the computer now boots but it brings me to Windows recovery

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
If you can't recover windows it might mean your "hdd" is damaged as well(along with your graphics card) or it could mean your mobo is damaged. Or you could have shorted your PSU and several components are damaged. Or it's just your PSU and everything else is fine.

If you have another system you can test other components aside from your power supply. (A bad psu can kill another system so don't bother trying)

Try another power supply

Testing a new mobo is definitely a pain but the rest shouldn't be too troublesome.

Solution

coreyellis9583

Reputable
Dec 25, 2017
The pc booting it was an unrelated issue and is fine currently it seemed that it was only the 1060

Try another power supply

The computer is running fine currently it seemed it was an unrelated issue with windows but it boots now and it seems it was just the 1060

coreyellis9583

Reputable
Dec 25, 2017

Try another power supply

What I don’t understand is that the gpu still runs all fans and the power led is on it just won’t display

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
What I don’t understand is that the gpu still runs all fans and the power led is on it just won’t display
If the water spilled along the back of the computer case that could be a very reasonable expectation.
You could have just shorted one of the display ports or something like that. We still don't know if it was something like you tipped over a bottle of water that was sitting on the case or if it was a full jug or what.
If integrated graphics works fine but your card doesn't, it could be the card or the pci slot.

coreyellis9583

Reputable
Dec 25, 2017
If the water spilled along the back of the computer case that could be a very reasonable expectation.
You could have just shorted one of the display ports or something like that. We still don't know if it was something like you tipped over a bottle of water that was sitting on the case or if it was a full jug or what.
If integrated graphics works fine but your card doesn't, it could be the card or the pci slot.
Ah my apologies it was probably half an ounce spilled on the top of the case that leaked into computer the actual things that were wet were the psu cables

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Ah my apologies it was probably half an ounce spilled on the top of the case that leaked into computer the actual things that were wet were the psu cables
Alright. So I assume you're running off of integrated graphics? It could still be a PSU issue, you really should try to test it, or at least test your graphics card in another system. I would be leery of putting another gpu in the system until I'm sure it was the graphics card and not the PSU that caused the short. Your iGPU is definitely inferior to the 1060 you had.