[SOLVED] Spilled water in my rig and now trying to find the source of my issue.

Bullshark12

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2013
Hello all, yesterday I made the unfortunate accident of knocking a cup of water that I didn't know I had on that part of the desk over and had a bit of water spill into my computer through the top fan. I immediately unplugged everything and dried off any visible water before trying to assess the issue. I tried booting up again later and after noticing a huge performance decrease I powered back off and let it dry off overnight in front of a fan to no avail. I know my gpu is damaged due to one of the fans no longer functioning but that card along with the rest of the components are still detected when I power on. I swapped that gpu for an older one but I noticed my computer is extremely slower than before with either card in. I don't know what could be causing that since everything seems to be detected and functioning for the most part and I didn't see any water outside of the GPU. What could be causing this? I can't help but feel like this would be a SSD issue but neither of which got wet and I am positive of that. Really can't afford to replace the entire PC.

Is there any program I can use to run a benchmark on all of my computer to see what could be causing this performance decrease? For context, I used to boot incredibly fast but now it's taking a good 10-15 seconds for the bios logo/option to even initially flash on screen. Everything runs extremely slow, takes forever to open and sometimes just stops responding. I know it's a stupid benchmark but I used to get 2-300 fps in minecraft now sitting at a consistent 10 after an unbelievably long time just to even load into an empty map.

Also, I tried opening cpu-z and it's detecting my ram as DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz) when it's 3200. Also showing the NB frequency is 1600 mhz but I'm not sure what that means. I'm not the most computer literate but could me powering off my PC so abruptly when the issue happened have caused some issue with this or in the bios? Again, I don't think water got anywhere else besides the GPU.

My rig is:

G.Skill 8x2gb 3200 ram
ryzen 7 2700x with a 212 evo cooler
Asus prime x470-pro mobo
Zotac GTX 970 (rip)

Edit: Just opened Ryzen master and it's saying my peak speed is .600 GHz and it isn't moving. This definitely seems incorrect and the most obvious thing that has popped out at me thus far.

Last edited:
Solution
Abrupt power losses can corrupt files.

However it is very likely that water got into other places - not just the GPU.

I would give the computer much more time to dry out. Open it up, remove cards, drives, RAM.

Look for signs of damage from shorts. Place case and components in a warm, dry area, with some air flows. Not in direct sunlight.

Afterwards, inspect again and reassemble.

Reboot via Safe Mode. Determine if performance is normal or not.

Use Resource Monitor or Task Manager to observe system performance.

Then, if performance appears to be what you expect, try a normal boot. Again observe performance.

If still slow try running "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt. Windows may find and fix some corrupted files.

Ralston18

Titan
Abrupt power losses can corrupt files.

However it is very likely that water got into other places - not just the GPU.

I would give the computer much more time to dry out. Open it up, remove cards, drives, RAM.

Look for signs of damage from shorts. Place case and components in a warm, dry area, with some air flows. Not in direct sunlight.

Afterwards, inspect again and reassemble.

Reboot via Safe Mode. Determine if performance is normal or not.

Use Resource Monitor or Task Manager to observe system performance.

Then, if performance appears to be what you expect, try a normal boot. Again observe performance.

If still slow try running "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt. Windows may find and fix some corrupted files.

Solution