[SOLVED] Spilled water on battery, now doesclicking noises

Nov 3, 2018
4
0
10
0
Hi. A bottle of water just spilled over the floor and unfortunately, some (not a lot but still) of the water went to the battery. The PC shut itself down and started making clicking noises. I unpluged everything connected to it and turned off the battery, but it still won't start up, just make a clicking noise with all the components lighting up and shutting down.
Do I have to buy a new battery? Thanks.
 

DSzymborski

Glorious
Moderator


There is no "just a sprinkle" when it comes to electronics.

It may be a lost cause at this point, but you need to disassemble the parts where water could have gone and physically attempt to dry them as best you can. Simply lying the PC down and hoping for the best is not a good technique.

Anyway, I wish you luck. There's a good chance at least your power supply is done. Whether anything else is also fried depends on where the water got into and the protections of your power supply.

 

DSzymborski

Glorious
Moderator
It's very likely you'll need a new battery. You're absolutely not helping by trying to start it up; the time frame after which you should be starting electronics that have had water spilled in them is days, not "just now." It's quite possible that your attempts to start up your laptop have not only fried the battery but the whole laptop as well.

The proper thing to do would be -- and you should still try -- to remove the battery and if water appears to have gotten in the laptop itself, disassemble the laptop, dry off what you can, and let it sit for a few days before trying to turn it on. It may be too late now, but you can definitely try.
 

DSzymborski

Glorious
Moderator


Just once is very often enough.

Then what did you spill it on? Desktop PCs don't generally have batteries unless you're talking about the very small CMOS battery on the motherboard.
 

jarodatkinson

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
145
0
710
7
Clicking noises on stuff that doesn't work is almost always aliens from a slightly different phase of the multiverse on star trek..... I'm guessing that's your problem......
 
Nov 3, 2018
4
0
10
0
It's just sprinkle water. For now I laid the PC on its back for the night, hoping the water gets out.
And well I'm talking about the power supply, rather.
 

jarodatkinson

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
145
0
710
7


If it's the power supply you shorted with water, and the fuse didn't blow.... You might be ok if you dry it out 100%

If the motherboard/ram /storage shorts it's almost always game over for that component. I did watch this one LTT scrapyard wars video where he burnt out some traces on the mobo, but he had a smart dude on his team who did a wire mod on the board that fixed it.... Not an option for mortals though.....

 

DSzymborski

Glorious
Moderator


There is no "just a sprinkle" when it comes to electronics.

It may be a lost cause at this point, but you need to disassemble the parts where water could have gone and physically attempt to dry them as best you can. Simply lying the PC down and hoping for the best is not a good technique.

Anyway, I wish you luck. There's a good chance at least your power supply is done. Whether anything else is also fried depends on where the water got into and the protections of your power supply.

 
Nov 3, 2018
4
0
10
0
No I meant it just was water with sprinkles, like, bubbles. But yeah, I guess if it doesn't work tommorow and still boots up doing the clicking noises, I'll try with another power supply.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY