Spilled water on computer, won't turn on and smells like burning

Aug 4, 2018
I spilled water on my laptop computer about half a day ago. When I spilled water, my computer immediately powered off so I removed the power cord and batteries immediately. I then dried the inside as well as the outside and left it for about 12 hours. When I went to turn it on, the fan turned on and the lights did as well, but the screen didn't. It would then continue this process basically forever, turning on and off but only the fan and the lights on the keyboard. I then smelled a hint of burning rubber/plastic so I immediately unplugged everything. Should I give it a few more days?

(I opened the computer with the power cord only)

Solution
After spilling water like this, and that kind of a shutdown, you could've killed the machine right there.

The turning on and off with no display means something stopped working, and it's gone.

That hint of burning plastic/rubber and no display is enough indication that it's dead.

You had to be a 100% sure that everything is completely dry.

If this happened to me, I'd go to a trusted IT shop, ask them to open the laptop and let it dry for at least a week to make completely sure that it has chances of surviving.

Now, don't try taking things into your own hands, get to a trusted IT shop and ask them to check it. If it's dead, the least you can do is save your data by getting the hard drive or SSD from it.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
After spilling water like this, and that kind of a shutdown, you could've killed the machine right there.

The turning on and off with no display means something stopped working, and it's gone.

That hint of burning plastic/rubber and no display is enough indication that it's dead.

You had to be a 100% sure that everything is completely dry.

If this happened to me, I'd go to a trusted IT shop, ask them to open the laptop and let it dry for at least a week to make completely sure that it has chances of surviving.

Now, don't try taking things into your own hands, get to a trusted IT shop and ask them to check it. If it's dead, the least you can do is save your data by getting the hard drive or SSD from it.

Solution