Spilled water on computer

gilidan4

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
I spilled water on my computer while playing a game. My computer froze and I turned it off and went to clean up all the water everywhere. Not much got on my computer and didn't see any water in the computer. When I tried turning it on a message said something about video card isn't connected to PCIe. I tried my best to clean it and look for anything strange but didn't see anything. Now my computer won't turn on at all. I am not sure what my problem is and if the card is dead.

Solution
Well, you made a gigantic mistake turning it on. Once you spilled water on it, it should have been immediately turned off, manually dried, and allowed to sit for days (ideally with the components stored in rice) while it completely dried. And only then, turned back on. If just the GPU died before, it's very possible than now the motherboard -- and even more -- are fried, too. At this point, when your components dry, I think you're back to breadboarding and trial-and-error to identify the destroyed parts.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, you made a gigantic mistake turning it on. Once you spilled water on it, it should have been immediately turned off, manually dried, and allowed to sit for days (ideally with the components stored in rice) while it completely dried. And only then, turned back on. If just the GPU died before, it's very possible than now the motherboard -- and even more -- are fried, too. At this point, when your components dry, I think you're back to breadboarding and trial-and-error to identify the destroyed parts.

Solution