ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,

I spilled some water on my floor and most of it got in my carpet and floor, and some of it touched my electrical cord/extension cord that connects to my surge protector. It was only a little bit of water, but a little bit of water got on a electrical cord but I think I cleaned it up right away. Is anything going to be damaged? Or will it damage my system or computer?

Solution
Did the surge protector trip off via its built in circuit breaker? Any indicator lights on the surge protector? Did the house circuit breaker trip? Did the computer or any other devices go off?

Sniff and inspect the surge protector's outlets. Any smell of burning, any black or brown streaks, melting?

If not, then there was no direct harm.

Leave everything off.

Unplug all cables so plugs and sockets can be open to dry out.

Take the surge protector and likewise set it out to dry. Turn it upside down so sockets can drain and dry. Rotate it from time to time so any remaining water can drain to other locations and evaporate accordingly.

When you are very sure that there is no water left inside the surge protector then...

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,

I spilled some water on my floor and most of it got in my carpet and floor, and some of it touched my electrical cord/extension cord that connects to my surge protector. It was only a little bit of water, but a little bit of water got on a electrical cord but I think I cleaned it up right away. Is anything going to be damaged? Or will it damage my system or computer?
none of it got near the outlet, but it touched the long cord that connects to my surge protector then to my computer

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,
I have my power cable and my monitor cable on my floor plugged into my surge protector and i spilled some water near it but I think that some of it might have gotten on the cables. I am worried that my cables will be ruined then my computer will be ruined as well.
I have cleaned It Up but I’m worried that it’s still gonna damage my pc

The cables are the ones on the floor and covered in thick plastic. Some water on the cables and not on the extremities plugged in the surge protector is fine. If you spilled water inside your computer or inside the power surge it would have been another story.

Water won't damage your rubber / plastic cables. You cleaned it. The cables are now dry? It's fine.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
The cables are the ones on the floor and covered in thick plastic. Some water on the cables and not on the extremities plugged in the surge protector is fine. If you spilled water inside your computer or inside the power surge it would have been another story.

Water won't damage your rubber / plastic cables. You cleaned it. The cables are now dry? It's fine.
Okay thank you, would it be possible though that water on the cords Or even in it would damage the pc itself or Just the cable?

Okay thank you, would it be possible though that water on the cords Or even in it would damage the pc itself or Just the cable?

Not possible. Water can do damage only if the water is actually moving and if the cable would be submerged in that moving water for a very long time. You know like rocks eroding because of moving water?

There is no way that spilling some water on a cable like that outside of the case would damage that cable.
You are totally safe. Stop panicking and be in peace :)

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Not possible. Water can do damage only if the water is actually moving and if the cable would be submerged in that moving water for a very long time. You know like rocks eroding because of moving water?

There is no way that spilling some water on a cable like that outside of the case would damage that cable.
You are totally safe. Stop panicking and be in peace :)
Okay thank you and I hope so. Sometimes I worry easily and I was worried a little bit of water maybe got into the surge protector on the ground because my computer was on too

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,
I had a plastic water bottle and the cap wasn’t on all the way and it fell over and tipped and some of the water came out. It fell off my desk and And created a spill and splashed a bit and some of the cables got wet, and I’m worried that some of it might have splashed into my surge protector. Im worries that my computer could be ruined. my computer was on as well, then I cleaned up my floor and the cables and dried it with paper towels then A towel and it’s dry I think. But is my computer, cables, or surge protector being damaged? The outside of the cable got wet and a Little might have gotten into the surge protector.

I don't think you should worry about it, just because a drop or two fell into it...that amount of water evaporates fast.
Around 8 years ago, I had a water leak and my surge protector was submerged in water. I dried it the best I could and placed it upside down for a couple of days and still works.

Ralston18

Titan
Did the surge protector trip off via its built in circuit breaker? Any indicator lights on the surge protector? Did the house circuit breaker trip? Did the computer or any other devices go off?

Sniff and inspect the surge protector's outlets. Any smell of burning, any black or brown streaks, melting?

If not, then there was no direct harm.

Leave everything off.

Unplug all cables so plugs and sockets can be open to dry out.

Take the surge protector and likewise set it out to dry. Turn it upside down so sockets can drain and dry. Rotate it from time to time so any remaining water can drain to other locations and evaporate accordingly.

When you are very sure that there is no water left inside the surge protector then test with a small lamp.

Try all of the sockets and if the sockets all work and the breaker does not trip then all should be well.

Then you can reconnect everything and go back to normal.

If at all possible, depending on circumstances, move the surge protector up off of the floor. Mount it on wall or back of the desk.

Just a few inches up. Might even be easier to access.

Solution