Spilled Water on Mid-Tower Case - GPU affected

sdgeiger

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014
Hello,

My 14 year old spilled water on the top of his case and within a few minutes, the system shut down. He said he used a towel on the top of the case to get most of the water. He said he didn't think it was much water. Anyway, after 1-2 hours, the system would not boot up. I could see some lights on the Mobo (ASUS Maximus Hero VII), but no lights on the Corsair H100i Cooler. Anyway, it still wouldn't start. I let it sit for 2 weeks and then tried again. This time it started, all the fans are running, the Corsair cooler is illuminated, but the monitor says that there is no signal detected.

I build the unit for him in December 2014. It has the following components:

Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
Asus Maximus VII Hero ATX LGA1150
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866

Since the GPU is not sending a signal, I could replace the GeForce GTX 970 with a used one from eBay, but there are no returns on these used items and if the problem is more severe, then I might need to replace more components.

Before I spend the money on the replacement GeForce GTX 970, I was hoping someone here could give me a recommendation on how to best determine which component is bad and if it's worth it to buy the replacement GPU without fully knowing the problem.

Thanks,
Scott

I would pull the GPU first and then connect monitor to the motherboard see if you get anything from the GPU built in the CPU.

You atleast would be able to check to see if main system OK and H100i is working.

After that, plug the GPU in to another PCIE slot.

Can you see any obviouse water marks on the GPU or motherboard ?

sdgeiger

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks to all. The system is fine when I use the Mobo VGA. I tried moving the GeForce to another slot, but same result - no signal. Now I have to decide if I want to get him a new GPU or just make him use the Mobo graphics. :)

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Solution