Question Spilled water on mobo, not sure what parts to replace. (Need help urgently)

Nov 20, 2022
Hello.
Freak accident happened Yesterday where I was refilling my AIO due to it having gunk in the heat sink.
Long story short I spilled a few droplets on my mobo, I dried it off.

I thought everything was fine , put all my PC parts back on, booted the computer and nothing happened. No signs of life.
I dis-assembled my PC and NOTICED there was water that made it through the actual CPU socket part. so I let it dry over night, even faced the mobo near a heater when I woke up. for a few minutes to dry and catch unwanted micro droplets.

Again re-assembled my CPU, booted my PC. it managed to get to the bios screen however again, it shut down about 10 seconds after the booting process.

I have also tried booting my PC at least 3 times after this encounter, as stated I managed to get to the bios before, but now my PC turns on for 1-5 seconds then shuts off immediately. AIO fan spins, PSU fan spins but then shuts off.

My PSU Seems to be fine, RAM works since I have an image on my screen same for my GPU.

I am not entirely sure how to fix this, I do not have warranty for any of the parts.
I am not sure if I came to the right conclusion that it either has to either be my mobo that has short circuited and/or my 5800x CPU has become faulty.
My CPU is completely dry an no signs of damage on the pins. Does that mean the CPU is still usable? WHat about my mobo? should I buy another one?

My AIO I have it plugged in the respective sockets but haven't installed the heat sink on the actual cpu itself

Last edited:

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Hello.
Freak accident happened Yesterday where I was refilling my AIO due to it having gunk in the heat sink.
Long story short I spilled a few droplets on my mobo, I dried it off.

I thought everything was fine , put all my PC parts back on, booted the computer and nothing happened. No signs of life.
I dis-assembled my PC and NOTICED there was water that made it through the actual CPU socket part. so I let it dry over night, even faced the mobo near a heater when I woke up. for a few minutes to dry and catch unwanted micro droplets.

Again re-assembled my CPU, booted my PC. it managed to get to the bios screen however again, it shut down about 10 seconds after the booting process.

I have also tried booting my PC at least 3 times after this encounter, as stated I managed to get to the bios before, but now my PC turns on for 1-5 seconds then shuts off immediately. AIO fan spins, PSU fan spins but then shuts off.

My PSU Seems to be fine, RAM works since I have an image on my screen same for my GPU.

I am not entirely sure how to fix this, I do not have warranty for any of the parts.
I am not sure if I came to the right conclusion that it either has to either be my mobo that has short circuited and/or my 5800x CPU has become faulty.
My CPU is completely dry an no signs of damage on the pins. Does that mean the CPU is still usable? WHat about my mobo? should I buy another one?

My AIO I have it plugged in the respective sockets but haven't installed the heat sink on the actual cpu itself
Install the heatsink and retest. What's probably happening is the cpu is overheating and shutting down if you're trying to run it without any cooling.

bluesimurg1989

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
Why did you test it right away, tho you should heat the mobo wait for a day or two and clean it after it cool down to remove remaining water particles?

Water doesn't destroy any electronic device right away, actually it takes a long time to corrode. It didn't work because there is a short circuit due to water.

Nov 20, 2022
Why did you test it right away, tho you should heat the mobo wait for a day or two and clean it after it cool down to remove remaining water particles?

Water doesn't destroy any electronic device right away, actually it takes a long time to corrode. It didn't work because there is a short circuit due to water.
So that being said and done, is it safe for me to buy a new mobo, also you mentioned short circuit , could this also have affected my GPU, NVME SSD and other components if the water really only hit the CPU/side areas?

I did a PSU Clip test with my GPU plugged in, and they both turned on, so my assumption is only my Mobo is affected, at worse also my CPU...