AsadHabib

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Hi everyone,

TLDR: Got water dripped on my monitor in a way that it went all inside while it was off. Tried to dry it with a blower + vacuum cleaner for 30 mins each in all openings. Placed it in the sun with its back to it for 30 mins until it got too hot. It's now been 24 hours, is it safe to plug it in?

So i have an AOC 24g2 monitor that i bought around 6 months ago. Last night I was driving to another city and had the monitor in my trunk face up. Unfortunately i think in the last 30 minutes or so - there was a water bottle that sort of tipped over and started dripping on the face of the monitor. It was all towards the bottom side of the display area. It wasn't looking that bad but when i picked it up, water started dripping from inside of the monitor which had me freaking out.

Here's what I've done since:

• Haven't plugged it in / turned it on since
  • Dried it with a towel on the surface level
  • This was silly but i tried sucking on the corners of the display and a little water came out so that meant it went in deep obviously. Used to do this with my phones if they ever fell into water to see if any hole still had water.
  • Took my vacuum cleaner (since I didn't have a blower at that time) and took off the head, used on smaller opening close to the edges and on any opening in my monitor for around 15 mins. I sucked on the edges after this and couldn't feel water droplets coming out.
  • Placed the monitor under a fan for the night
  • In the morning - brought a blower and blew into the sides / holes for around 15 mins.
  • Was hesitant about this but placed the monitor with its back to the sun in sunlight (1 pm - 85 degree F / 29 Degree C) for 30 mins. The monitor got really hot and i was worried it might get damaged so I removed it.
In total it's now been 24 hours. Is it safe to try and plug it in?

Last edited:
Solution
I often wash motherboards and other computer parts with water, so water itself isn't a problem as long as your device is not powered.

But LCD monitor is a bit different, there are places that water can be stuck for quite a long period of time, so unless you can remove the back panel, you can't be sure 100%.

I'd say wait for a couple of days more, expose your monitor to sunlight with the LCD covered up.
I often wash motherboards and other computer parts with water, so water itself isn't a problem as long as your device is not powered.

But LCD monitor is a bit different, there are places that water can be stuck for quite a long period of time, so unless you can remove the back panel, you can't be sure 100%.

I'd say wait for a couple of days more, expose your monitor to sunlight with the LCD covered up.

Solution

AsadHabib

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013

yeah this model i don't think allows for back panel removal and i don't want to risk damaging it so i guess i'll wait another day. Thing is it's quit heaty up here and i could smell a weird plastic burnish smell after i put it in the sunlight today which was why i was concerned. Guess i'll try to intermittently expose it to sunlight.

Reactions: lvt