Question Spilled water on my laptop, help please!!!

Aug 13, 2021
Like the absolute idiot I am, I spilled water on my gaming laptop. About 50 ml of pure distilled water (no minerals i think) seeped into my laptop. Most seeped into the cooling fan part (the keyboard is in a separate location from the cooling fan) I heard some sizzlings, it sounds like frying beef in a pan. There was no smoke. My screen was fine before I turned the laptop off - no turning black. I turned it off in 10 seconds and turned it upside down to dry it. The sizzling stopped after I turned it off but started again after a few minutes but it was much more quiet and stopped after a few moments. I haven't turned it on and decided to wait for at least 24 hrs for it to dry. However i didn't take the electrical components apart - don't have the skills and all nearby repair shop is closed for the night.

Did i do the right thing? Will my laptop be fine? Please help🥺

(sorry if this was hard to understand, English is not my first language)

UPDATE: Thanks for the fantastic advice guys! I found out I have a best buy protection plan so i think i got nothing to worry even if my motherboard is fried. Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
You did not try to turn it on yet? How long have you let it sit already? You don't need to take anything electrical apart, just take off the system cover, make sure all the liquid is removed, leave it to dry for a day, and see if it works once fully dry. If it does not work once dried out, then take it to a repair shop to have it looked at, but as a warning it will probably need a new motherboard and for many newer gaming laptops that is almost the cost of a new laptop.

Aug 13, 2021
You did not try to turn it on yet? How long have you let it sit already? You don't need to take anything electrical apart, just take off the system cover, make sure all the liquid is removed, leave it to dry for a day, and see if it works once fully dry. If it does not work once dried out, then take it to a repair shop to have it looked at, but as a warning it will probably need a new motherboard and for many newer gaming laptops that is almost the cost of a new laptop.

Not Yet. The spill happened an hour ago, I'm planning to let it sit for the night and take it to a repair shop tmrw to check if anything's wrong with it. Thanks so much for the advice!