Spilled water on part(s) of my PC - need new components & advise

WaterIsBad

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Dear Forumites,

Hello from Ireland. First time poster, short-time lurker. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Two days ago I spilled a large amount of water over my PC & desk area. Needless to say I've learned my lesson, but just let me say it was some freaky Final Destination stuff...
My PC is a tower PC, so the parts mainly affected were the HDD(s), PSU and Motherboard.
Today I switched it on and checked what was working, what seemed buggy and was was completely unrecoverable:
- the HDD is completely dead, I had to reinstall my OS (Windows 7) onto a backup HDD just to analyze.
- the PSU seems to be fine as it is powering all things as normal, that I can see.
- the Motherboard is the real issue here. Some chip seems to have gotten fried, and the CMOS/BIOS (sorry, not big into that stuff, I know I'm probably wrong here) seem to have been reset. I can't use any USB ports (yes I'm using 2.0, not 3.0 ports), but the PS2 port (there's only 1, so I can only use a keyboard or mouse at one time) seems fine.

My current components:

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-UD3 (-rekt)
GPU: Sapphire HD7870XT
CPU: AMX FX4100 (-want to replace)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB @ 7200RPM (-rekt)
PSU: beQuiet PurePower BQT L8 CM 730W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 4GB @ 1866Mhz
CPU Cooler: Arctic Continous Operation Freezer 13
CD-Drive: Plextor PX-891SA

Seeing as the PSU seems to be working fine, I don't see the need in replacing it. The other 2 though, I need to replace, and I also want to get a new CPU as my current one (AMD FX4100) is very outdated and can't play much modern games at high graphic settings.
So I'd really appreciate it if you Forumites could give me some suggestions and/ or advice on what to get/ do. Any information you need, just ask, I'll do my best to provide what I can!

Many thanks in advance!
Sam

logainofhades

Titan
Sorry, I do not spend much time here, on the weekends. I do not recommend AMD, though. Old tech that on a dead platform, for AM3+ and FM2+ has no upgrade path. So your max budget is 280? If so, then this is what I would go with. It will be better than what you had, and will pair up nicely with that graphics card of yours.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor (€118.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€87.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€55.01 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €261.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-13 16:02 CEST+0200

For a little over that budget, you could go with an i5.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€183.86 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€51.59 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€55.01 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €290.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-13 16:04 CEST+0200

Conaughty91

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

ok so IMO there are some nice parts listed above but i honestly thing you should be going down the route of a bit of both, like Z97P-D3 motherboard will be ample for you and then also the i3-4160 will be very good as well, then with the WD 1TB Blue your grand total is 262 euro at current conversion rate from gbp

this is a well rounded system, prices are from amazon uk, i think they will delivery to you?

hello from N.Ireland BTW Lol