Question Spilled water on RTX 3080 PC... Idiot

Jan 22, 2021
Hello,

This is probably the most idiotic mistake I have ever made in my life. I had spilled a water bottle onto the carpet near my PC and a little bit landed on top of it. Inside my expensive computer I have a 3080 and an i7 10700k. After seeing the screen freeze, I turned the PC off and unplugged it from the back. I let it sit and had fans and hair dryers on it. I let it sit overnight with just the fan and tried it this morning. The lights to the graphics card and other parts turned on but nothing came to the display. I tried to plug my hdmi into the motherboard slot instead but still nothing. I went over to a local repair shop and he tested my computer with another graphics card and suddenly, the display worked. He said he saw little droplets of water create tiny stains in a few spots on the graphics card and suggested that it is probably fried. I come here for confirmation/suggestions/any form of hope. I have a 3 year warranty on the graphics card but after some research, I'm pretty certain that customers are turned away when they present water damaged products. I cannot afford to buy a new one nor is it accessible to buy one in the first place. I'm just looking for really anything here.

Thanks,
A worried PC fan.

First of all....mistakes happen and that doesn't make you an idiot.

If it were me....I would get a cheap....used....pretty much any graphics card...and put it in the machine and run it....to confirm nothing else is wrong.

It sounds like the gpu might be the only issue.

"tested my computer with another graphics card and suddenly, the display worked. "

If you determine the GPU is the only issue....then you can decide what to do next as far as the GPU.

Trying an RMA is always a possibility as you have nothing to lose.

Try all the outputs on the gpu as it’s possible to kill 1 and not the other. I don’t think there is anything you can do to fix it if it is dead.

For the money lost I can think of 2 ideas. Some credit cards (at least in the UK) offer insurance as standard on purchases. If you bought on credit card it might be worth looking if you have any insurance. The other option is looking at claiming on home insurance.