Question Spilt beer on pc now it wont boot!

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Okay i know im an idiot... the beer was from the night before and i knocked it by mistake :/

It must of only been a tiny bit most of it got caught in my mesh top and then the fan filter on the top of the case too. A tiny bit has shorted the aetx 12v socket it makes a sizzle sound when i try boot. If i unplug the connector the fans spin but stop after 3 seconds and try again. So im not sure if this is the psu or the board? Will the psu have enough grunt to constantly cycle all these fans? I have like 6 on the case and 2 cpu fans. Ive removed the gpu for now when testing dont want to kill that although it could be already dead too... noway to test it.

I was gonna give this pc to my son for xmas and get myself a new one but would like to use it until then.

I dont have anything to work out if its the mobo or the psu at fault. And cant test any of my hdds ssds or gpu to confirm if buying a new mobo or psu will do the trick.

Any techy around here able to work out how i fix this?

Dont wanna take it to pc world for a checkup they are clowns and will only fix it with trash partsanyways... its 7 years old now but its still a decent that will run fortnite for my son easy.

I can see mobos on evay for 35 - 50 which is kinda crazy for such old kit. But it was decent spec back then.

Theres no burning smells and no liquid still wet anywhere. Fans spin at full power so it doesnt look like the psu is struggling but like i said they stop at 3 seconds when the pc knows it cant boot and then they cycle .

Any help would be great. Cheers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd stop trying to power it up!!

continuing to apply power to it can cause all kinds of other issues and possibly take other parts with it. what "aetx 12v socket " sizzles when you power it on? from the motherboard? power supply? whatever part it is, should be replaced and then the rest carefully watched when that has been replaced.

does not take much liquid to destroy circuit boards and it's possible other parts are effected as well but you can't tell yet since it won't boot far enough to show that problem!!

you have to start with the obvious problem and see what happens after that's fixed. there is no magic test that will show what every part is doing like you're thinking.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sadly, the mobo is probably not gonna work anymore. not worth risking the rest of the system. as you noted, there are used boards out there to get. about the best you can do really.

i've had many liquid damaged pc's in my shop over the years and very rarely am i able to salvage everything. considering you're seeing and hearing shorts in the board, it needs to be replaced.

you may be able to get the same board or possibly something else that will work with the cpu. don't know what you have now, so can't really go into that at the moment :)

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard is the current board but it had a custom bios installed. Probs why it ran so well all these years.

Im happy if i can find another board the same and then everything just works. Ill have to overclock the cpu again its only a i5 3570k. Was stable at 4.7ghz.

If i can bring it back to life for less than £100 ill have to do it. Such a shame really. Tiniest amount of beer dripped down. Still 7 years shes done her job i suppose.