[SOLVED] Spilt thermal compound and bent pins on CPU socket

Jul 19, 2019
So long story short, I was making some upgrades to my existing PC and ended up applying too much thermal compound onto the CPU. In an attempt to clean it off some it accidentally spilled into the CPU socket on the motherboard. The thermal compound was ARCTIC MX-4 which is thermal conductive. I tried cleaning it off with a toothbrush soaked in rubbing alcohol and accidentally bent some of the pins by scrubbing too hard....

I already contacted the manufacture and they told me to go ahead an create an RMA for it. Just wondering if there's any hope of it being repaired before I go through the hassle of shipping it back. Is there any hope it can be repaired, or should I just cough up the money and buy a new one?

vyk22Oi.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
All that stuff on the bottom right?
I'm going out on a limb and say that is absolutely NOT fixable. Too much damage.

And for an RMA, they don't 'fix' yours and send it back. It determined to be a warranty issue, they just send you a new (used) one.
And this is NOT a warranty issue.
Jul 19, 2019
Some bent pins can sometimes be repaired, but that is generally NOT a warranty item.
You caused it, you pay for it.

Your pic is too small to tell exactly how bad it is.
I uploaded a larger copy of the photo, not sure why it came out small the first time. I'm well aware that I would have to pay for it. Im just wondering even if it's something that can be repaired and if it would be cheaper than purchasing a new motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
All that stuff on the bottom right?
I'm going out on a limb and say that is absolutely NOT fixable. Too much damage.

And for an RMA, they don't 'fix' yours and send it back. It determined to be a warranty issue, they just send you a new (used) one.
And this is NOT a warranty issue.

Solution