Build Advice Spirit of Motion - Scratchbuild PC Log

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MaximumBubbleMods

Prominent
May 30, 2020
I'm new to modding forums and new to scratch building so hello fellow enthusiasts! Please offer any advice or ideas as I love new ideas.

This build is for my father. He loves early automotive design and I was inspired when I saw a 1938 Spirit of Motion made by the late Graham-Paige company. The design and shape of this build is heavily inspired by the "sharknose" grill the Spirit of Motion has.

Because of complexity and the number of parts I wanted to model the case first. Modeling also is helping me keep sense of the scale. I want this to be as small as possible as it will probably be displayed on a desk top and we all like space! I will also need the drawings/schematics for cutting metal parts out.

I wanted it leaning forward but unlike the original car I also wanted it widening as it goes up in height to give the sense of moving onward and upward! Very "Spirit of Motion" of me I know.

Next was the grill design itself and the "panels" (do i still call them panels?!). I chose a color scheme at this point with: candy apple (red), silver, and black.

Started stuffing generic standard size components in and creating the needed mounts and fixtures for parts. Because this is a car grill it only seemed natural to put a 280mm radiator right in front where it belongs.

The big kicker for this case will be how you access your components. This choice is also why the motherboard is inverted and mirrored and the GPU will be vertical mount. To keep the I/O below the hinge point.

Next up is creating the 2D drawing files for waterjet cutting the raw aluminum grill pieces, lasercutting and bending of the sheetmetal for the rear I/O, aluminum frame, rad mounts, mobo mount, ect ect. Update coming real soon!

MaximumBubbleMods

Prominent
May 30, 2020
The remaining pieces of hardware are installed such as the CoolerMaster Master fan Pro 140, that I am using for the upper air intake.

The last tasks were setting up the colors for the RGB, setting up Windows and other stuff on the computer for my dad, and doing a little more "testing" (gaming haha).

Also, this is the last update! The next posts will be some video content and (many) final photos. I am beyond excited to share the build and my dad's reaction with you all!

MaximumBubbleMods

Prominent
May 30, 2020
Hey all. I have been tied up with some moving, travel, excuses, excuses... but it has finally come time to wrap this project!

I know many of you were excited to see my dad's reaction to the gift. I know I was out of my mind excited to finally show it to him after all these months! My good friend asked to do the video so check it out below!

Reactions: Flayed

MaximumBubbleMods

Prominent
May 30, 2020
It really came out amazing! I'm glad everything worked out so well.

And your dad's not THAT old!

Haha age is just a number! Thank you

Awesome job. Great video too!

I loved seeing your Dad's face at the reveal. I know how utterly proud he is of you!

I'm so thankful! My friend did such a great job with the video.

It puts a smile on my face every time I watch it 😊

MaximumBubbleMods

Prominent
May 30, 2020
Thank you everyone for the advice and support throughout the entire process. This being my first build log on a forum, I had more fun than I expected thanks to such a great community!

With the reveal out now, enjoy some final photos!

Reactions: GarrettL