Splashtop Pumps Windows 8 Metro to iPad for Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
EDIT: Oops.. Missed the part about it being designed specifically for Windows 8 (Thus their "test bed" name)
And that it supports gestures..

Why is this a story?
I've done this with my Iconia Tab A500 and my HTPC since the Windows 8 developers preview or whatever it's called.

Not only that, but on the Android Market, Splashtop for tablets is considerably less costly at only $5 compared to the $25.

So where's the story for Android?

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Why on earth would you want to put a pile of sh!t onto a perfectly good iPad. It's like replacing OS X with Vista.[/citation]
I'd run Vista over OS X any day, yes vista was bad, it was a resource hog and slightly annoying to transition to from XP. But so long as your not running on a stone age processor with 1GB of ram it's tolerable. As for OS X though, I'd probably end up running a VM with Windows on it just so that half my programs would operate.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]EDIT: Oops.. Missed the part about it being designed specifically for Windows 8 (Thus their "test bed" name)And that it supports gestures..Why is this a story?I've done this with my Iconia Tab A500 and my HTPC since the Windows 8 developers preview or whatever it's called.Not only that, but on the Android Market, Splashtop for tablets is considerably less costly at only $5 compared to the $25.So where's the story for Android?[/citation]

So I thought the same thing on my iPad. I have their Remote Desktop app and I got it for about $5. It does do a few things on Windows 8 but the touch does not seem to work. You still control the mouse pointer.

The Metro Testbed app is not available on Android based on what I am seeing on their website and I think it is a different app designed to pass different commands back to Windows 8. It seems to allow touch mode and not just control the mouse. I am sure there are other features as well but that is just what I can see from their site.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I think windows 8 will fail in desktops, and I rly don't think ppl will pay $100 for an OS to their mobile devices! So im rly sry, I love Win7, but Windows8 will be a HUGE FAIL!!!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]i could see $5.00, maybe $10.00, but it would be nice to hear the justification of this $25.00 rdp app.[/citation]

It is not a RDP app. Does not use port 3389.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Seems like a really dumb idea to me personally if the goal is to be able to test applications with the metro interface on a tablet.... There are way more considerations than simply the touch (battery-life, performance etc.) and this assumes that the touch is perfectly recreated without having used the original. I don't think it is unreasonable for developers to own the actual form-factor/platform they're developing for

Developers are going to build things on their PC, stream the touch interface to the tablet and wonder why their app performs like crap in the real world...

G

My iPad has been sitting idle for quite some time now - it simply does not do much for me - too big for real portability, too small and not powerful enough for real work. Splashtop Metro test-bed is the best app on the iPad. It makes it useful - and running Windows 8 on top of the iPad is great - it actually makes iOS feel really old when you go out of it back to the static icons everywhere interface of iOS. Windows 8 is going to be a huge success.

G

Microsoft hasn't given you the full LD on Wondows 8.. It will run on ipad and android tan hardware NATIVELY!!! Wait, see and be astonished...

Status
Not open for further replies.