Question Split Dolby Atmos and 4K120 without eARC ?

Thortok2000

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
So I just got a QN90A and have a Q600A soundbar and a PC with an RTX 3080 in it.

On the previous TV, I connected the PC to the soundbar and the soundbar to the TV. I was able to select dolby atmos in windows and get sound from rear speakers during gaming, it was nice.

On the new TV, though, I'm trying to get 4K120 and therefore plugging the PC directly into the specified port on the TV. However, I have just discovered that the Q600A doesn't support eARC, it's only ARC. (The next model up, Q700A, does, but I don't have that model, lol.)

So even though I get beautiful 4K120 HDR visuals, the sound is basically coming out stereo and the rear speakers aren't used. I do get the 'q symphony' option that has sound come out of both TV and soundbar, though, for what that's worth.

The RTX 3080 only has 1 HDMI port but it has 3 displayport ports. (Is that how you say it? port ports?)

Is there any way to get a displayport/hdmi adapter that supports dolby atmos and plug the soundbar into one of the displayports and get surround sound that way? If so, what adapter do I need? I'll miss out on q-symphony, but I honestly don't know how much difference that makes. And maybe at some point I can upgrade to the Q700A and get eARC which will make everything work more nicely. But until then, is the adapter a cheap alternative just to get surround working again?

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
You're better off working with your audio as is, since you're going to need eARC and effectively the Q700AS to get what you want(i.e, Dolby Atmos). Out of curiosity, were you working with the HMDI port on the previous TV? You will need to include the make and model of the previous TV and audio equipment, mind you.

Thortok2000

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Previous TV was a UN55NU6900

Computer > Q600A soundbar > UN55NU6900's arc port - surround sound worked great with 'atmos' selected on PC.

Current setup is Computer > QN55QN90A > Q600A soundbar

Proposed setup is Computer > TV and second cord Computer > soundbar (using displayport adapter) - was wondering if this would work. Saw on the internet that a 'passive' adapter could do the trick.

I don't know how to tell if I'm getting true atmos vs just 5.1 channel sound. If I can get a discrete 5.1 and confirm my rear speakers and subwoofer have their own unique channels, then that works for me. If it says it's atmos, I'll probably placebo myself into enjoying it anyway.

I've been messing around with the QN90A TV and I identified another issue...the audio/video sync is awful, it's like 4/10ths of a second off. I actually think the surround sound is actually working, maybe, sometimes. It seems to work when gaming, but not from youtube test videos? I don't know.

But the lip sync is super bad. (But only from the PC, AV sync from anything from the TV like Netflix is perfect.) I thought firmware updates might fix this, but so far no dice. Have an open ticket with Samsung about it.

I was considering getting a SHARC eARC Audio Converter, but hoping to find a cheaper solution. The displayport adapter could fix the lip sync issue too, maybe. If it works at all. But I'd prefer an ARC-related setup so that the soundbar can process audio from the TV too and not computer only.