Split Keyboard With A Twist: Dygma Raise On Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
On the top row of a traditional keyboard there are 14 keys. The number 6 key is actually the seventh key along that top row so if you were to split the keyboard it would be on the left, with the right starting at 7. Admittedly the backspace key is a little larger on a traditional keyboard too.

Looking at my (non-split) keyboard, the 6 is clearly more on the left hand side. The center of the home row, between G and H on a Qwerty keyboard, just about lines up with the right edge of the key cap, and it is less of a stretch to press it using the left hand. If a keyboard is designed to be ergonomic, it might be decided that you shouldn't need to unnaturally stretch to reach the 6 key using your right hand, so placing it on the left arguably makes sense. I suppose if one is entering a bunch of numbers, that could lead to some additional movement on the left hand side, though it's probably better to use a numpad for heavy number input anyway. Also, who is to say that Mavis Beacon is "correct" on the matter? Some other typing resources have assigned the key to the left hand, even if it tends to be less common.

Of course, when it comes down to it, the entire qwerty/azerty layout is arguably a mess, designed around reducing typebar jams on old mechanical typewriters, rather than anything resembling efficiency or ergonomics. It doesn't really make sense on computers, aside from not requiring those who learned to type on a typewriter to learn something new, and now we're stuck with it for pretty much the same reason.

Wayne Anderson

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
This design is actually really well throughout out and offers both the alignment flexibility AND features important for a good ergonomic mechanical keyboard. I've seen designs that nail one or the other, this may be the first that I have confidence in perhaps both being addressed!

D

Deleted member 1958197

that's what the under row is for

also it's fully programmable... :O

Status
Not open for further replies.