Question Splitter not working ?

skycaptn

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Hi guys and gals, I wired cat5e throughout my house from my high speed router closet installed by my ISP. Everything works just fine except one of the rooms I replaced a monitor with a smart tv. I only had a single rj45 jack in that room so I wired together a splitter. I tested the splitter and had lan/internet in and out of each side individually. When I hook it to the wall and try to plug in my computer lan card and then the back of the smart tv I loose internet on both of them, what am I missing? I even bought a splitter and it does the same thing, will work with 1 of the 2 plugged in but as soon as I plug in both I lose internet .

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys and gals, I wired cat5e throughout my house from my high speed router closet installed by my ISP. Everything works just fine except one of the rooms I replaced a monitor with a smart tv. I only had a single rj45 jack in that room so I wired together a splitter. I tested the splitter and had lan/internet in and out of each side individually. When I hook it to the wall and try to plug in my computer lan card and then the back of the smart tv I loose internet on both of them, what am I missing? I even bought a splitter and it does the same thing, will work with 1 of the 2 plugged in but as soon as I plug in both I lose internet .
What do you mean by "a splitter" ?
The proper implementation, is to add a switch in the room where you need multiple ethernet connections.

skycaptn

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
I was trying to not use a switch, I wanted both connections off the splitter to be connected at the same time. I can see now that's not possible unless I pull another wire from my router.

kanewolf

Titan
I was trying to not use a switch, I wanted both connections off the splitter to be connected at the same time. I can see now that's not possible unless I pull another wire from my router.
You never provided a link to the "splitter" so I don't know exactly what you are talking about.
BUT, if I had to guess it would be this -- https://www.amazon.com/RIOUSV-Ethernet-Splitter-Suitable-Connector/dp/B0B4P2PX6W/
If that is the case, then you should be looking at the "connection example 1" wiring diagram. You would use two of the "splitters" to two ports on the router to two devices. Each device would get a 100Mbit connection using 4 of the 8 wires.

It's the splitter. Grab a small cheap switch and it should work fine.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
I second or third the sentiment. When you use a splitter, you're dropping the # of wires from 8 to 4, or the # of pairs from 4 to 2. 1 gbps requires all 4 pairs, but 100mbps will work over 2 pairs/4 wires.
An inexpensive 5-port gigabit switch can usually be had for under $20, and will preserve your gigabit speeds

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor