Splitting audio output

xclone

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
TLDR: Is it at all possible to split the audio output into two streams - HDMI and DVI?

Details : I have two Dell 27 inch monitors ( S2715 ) with built-in speakers. I have a MSI Gaming X 1070 graphics card and I am connecting both monitors using HDMI for the first one and DVI for the second. I can see both monitors listed under my audio devices. However I can only seem to output the audio stream through one monitor at a time. Is there a way I can split the audio stream into left and right and send it to the left(HDMI) and right(DVI) monitors respectively? If not can I have the same audio stream sent to both the monitors at the same time?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Solution
See if you can send the AUDIO output from the monitor getting the HDMI signal into the Monitor using DVI. (i.e, don't split the signal, send it to one monitor then to the second).

Your monitor may have digital out and digital in. You monitor may have 3.5 mm plug out and in.

GL.
How are you getting audio via DVI? Are you using DVI/HDMI adapter, or are you using 3.5mm cable?

You wont be able to get your computer to ouput sound over both HDMI and DVI interface.
You can split the audio using a 3.5mm jack but since your tiny little monitor speakers are not amplified then this is a poor option.

Why cant you just use normal PC speakers that will be 20x better then whatever is built into the monitor?

xclone

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Hello boosted1g,

Indeed - I have a HDMI / DVI adapter.

I have the 3.5 mm connected to my Razer Keyboard and I use my earphones about 90% of the time. I sometimes have to entertain our 1 year old which is when I use the monitor speakers. I might invest in a proper set of speakers in the future but right I don't really have any use for them. I figured I already have the monitors and I might as well use them if I can.

I got guided on to to another post which suggested a program called Che Volume and an open source counterpart of it. I haven't explored Che Volume very deeply but the open source program called Audio Router seems to do exactly what I want. It's not the most intuitive UI but it suffices and it certainly get the the job done.

This is the link to the program if anyone else comes across a similar issues : https://github.com/audiorouterdev/audio-router

See if you can send the AUDIO output from the monitor getting the HDMI signal into the Monitor using DVI. (i.e, don't split the signal, send it to one monitor then to the second).

Your monitor may have digital out and digital in. You monitor may have 3.5 mm plug out and in.

GL.

Solution

xclone

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
tsnor - Thank you for replying.

No my monitor does now have a Digital out / In. It does however have 3.5mm in and another 3.5mm out for headphones. I guess I could chain them like you suggested. I will give that a try to see if it's better than Audio Router. Though Audio Router seems to have resolved all of my current needs.