Splitting folders across two drives, possible?

G

Hello everyone :) My current hard drive has run its course and is pretty much on its last last legs. I am going to be replacing it with an SSD and a regular HDD. Now what i was wondering is if i could split up my data so that folders like programs, windows, and appdata where all on the ssd but the rest of the data was on the regular hard drive. This would save me alot of hassle and would make sure i still get a solid performance increase from the ssd.

Cheers
Lod

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You sure can. Were you planning to put the OS on the SSD? If you split the programs off to a new drive and leave the OS alone registry entries will no longer be valid. Best to not just copy over programs but to reinstall anew.

G

Thanks for the speedy reply :) My plan was to install a fresh onto an SSD, then route all the data onto the regular HDD. From what i read you can change the user directory on install which would mean all i would have to do is copy the appdata folder to the ssd and mklink it back to its original location, maybe :p Was hoping for some guidance to see if it was possible then making a thread elsewhere for the specifics.

Thanks again
lod

Bob McKay

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
I know this is an old dead thread but I found it when I was trying to research how to split my Dropbox folder across multiple drives (for the same reason as the original poster - limited SSD space) so I figured I'd post my solution here for others doing the same search. How to split one Dropbox across multiple harddrives: LINK REDACTED. No Amazon affiliate links, plus you're actually breaking their disclosure policy on your site. - SS

Latest posts