[SOLVED] Splitting USB-C ?

Peter_161

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
I want a dock that will effectively split my USB-C. I have a USB-C external SSD and a 4K monitor that connects by USB-C.
I see there's a difference between Power Input Port and Data port: Anker USB C Hub

But this one has 2 USB-C data ports. Does that make it better? Juiced

I'm guessing my external SSD needs power through this connection (as it doens't have an power supply connected), but the monitor doesn't?

Finally, I'm assuming that adapting my external SSD to USB-3 (which my laptop also has) is downgrading the connection? I want my SSD to connect as best it can.

Peter

Solution
The power input port can be used as a data port. It's just that if your laptop can be charged via USB-C, it has to be done through that port.

As for the speed the SSD will operate at, it depends on what the SSD can use and what the dock can provide. If the SSD is a 5Gbps USB 3.x device, then it should work at full speed in most USB 3.x ports. If it's a 10Gbps USB 3.x device, then it'll only work at full speed in 10 Gbps USB 3.x ports. Otherwise it downgrades to the next fastest speed.
The power input port can be used as a data port. It's just that if your laptop can be charged via USB-C, it has to be done through that port.

As for the speed the SSD will operate at, it depends on what the SSD can use and what the dock can provide. If the SSD is a 5Gbps USB 3.x device, then it should work at full speed in most USB 3.x ports. If it's a 10Gbps USB 3.x device, then it'll only work at full speed in 10 Gbps USB 3.x ports. Otherwise it downgrades to the next fastest speed.

Solution