Spontaneous Fps drop

medev360

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
For the past several months I have been having an issue where the fps will drop by about 15-25 fps. I have checked the task manager to see if there is a program running in the background, but I have never seen anything out of the ordinary, and the cpu is always at a low level of usage. The only way I have managed to stop the problem is by restarting my computer, but the issue keeps popping up. BTW it does seem to happen when something demanding happens in a game or when I change the settings in a game, but I'm not positive. If anyone knows what the problem could be and how to fix it please help.

pauls3743

Distinguished
If you've had the system for a long time it's probably overheating. Open the case and give it a good clean out.The obvious place to look is the cpu fan, if it's got a carpet of dust you're graphics card certainly will as weel and you could be looking at having to strip it to clean it. :(

medev360

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I cleaned it and there wasn't that much dust because I have recently cleaned it. So I don't think that is the problem, but I won't rule it out.

Whats your system full spec and what games do you play and do they all have the same issue? Also you say they drop how quickly. It could be temperature related check the temps with HWMonitor both idle and just after you get a FPS drop.