Caliga

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Could any of you boffins kindly help me diagnose my problem? It's driving me quite mad.

The build:

MB: Asus P8P67-M Pro (Revision B3)
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
RAM: 1 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjaw
GPU: Radeon HD 6950
Primary Storage: OCZ RevoDrive 80GB SSD
PSU: Powercool 650W Modular

The problem:

Runs smoothly without any fuss during normal desktop use, during games like World of Warcraft and Minecraft rig will power off and restart. No BSOD, just a complete reboot.

This issue is intermittent. Sometimes it will happen within seconds of starting a game, sometime hours. Sometimes the problem will repeat as soon as I restart the game, sometimes it will give me a good half a day of play time.

What I have tried:

- Changing the RAM (I have around 6 other sticks I can use)
- Running memtest
- Monitoring and logging system temps using Aida64 (apart from GPU), results as follows:
■ MB: 36 C
■ CPU: 90 (I believe this is a false report, many other users have reported false readings from the intel 2600k, you will see from the core values that this cannot be the case)
■ Core 1: 60 C
■ Core 2: 61 C
■ Core 3: 59 C
■ Core 4: 54 C
■ Aux: 52 C

- Periodically checking GPU temp under CPUID hardware monitor, under a heavy load temps don't usually exceed around 60 C
- Checking all cable connections in case
- Running GPU fan at constant 80% speed using catalyst Control Center

So there you have it, if there is any additional information I can provide then just ask.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
you could try the v-card in another system. or max its fan out and see what happens.
if your overclocking anything put it back to normal and see if that fixes it.
could try a different driver version or a bios update. but those are both not likely to do anything.
as a side note, 1 stick of ram is a waste. its a dual channel system. using two will give you twice the bandwidth. if you could run games you would feel the difference.

Caliga

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
I'm afraid I do not have another system to try the card in, I'm only using 1 stick at the moment to minimise the possibility of a RAM issue - my system would usually have 4 Sticks for a total of 16GB of RAM.

System is currently on standard settings for all hardware, no overclocking as I'm paranoid of breaking an already unstable system xD

Caliga

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
I should also point out that I have been using FurMark to put my GPU under maximum load, so far I have not noticed any issues. I may run it a few more times though.

Update:
Just run furmark for a good 5 minutes, maximum settings. Maxmimum temps did not exceed 82 Degrees under 99% load, with the graphics card's fan only sitting at around 61%. I think it's safe to say the GPU is not overheating and shutting off, as WoW and Minecraft aren't exactly going to push this card to it's max!