May 4, 2009
I have a newly built system (a few months old):

Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Cooler Master RC-690 Mid Tower Case
Cooler Master UCP RS700 700w power supply
Running Vista Ultimate

Can someone help me troubleshoot a spontaneous reboot problem? It occurs usually when I'm doing heavy data processing (using Stata, a statistics program). However, it doesn't appear to be a heat issue (monitoring using Gigabyte's EasyTune 6 while executing heavy statistics code, doesn't reveal temperatures above 100 F, yet it spontaneously shut down/reboots!

What else can cause this? Note: I have NOT overclocked or edited any CPU settings (that I know of).

Thanks for your insights!!

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Do a load test with real temp and see what the temps say...

Make sure your ram is set up properly- timings and voltage to manufacturers specs

I would say a good majority of problems in regards to computer stability can be blamed on the ram if not properly setup.

mayan50

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Thought this would be a common config of a common mobo with common ram. Looking at the GSKILL forum, sounds like some tweaks are needed. I just want to be able to run 8GB of ram, stable, without overclocking. What happened to just plug and play ram?

I've run Memtest86 v2.11-- with all 4 sticks in I get errors beginning on Test 3. I am now testing 1 stick at a time in slot.
My timings using AUTO in BIOS match settings by GSKILL- 5-5-5-15, 1.8v-1.9v
Other suggestions?

mayan50

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Now this is weird.

So I tested each stick separately in slot 1 with memtest 1 pass, all good.

Then I put all four back in, and I'm testing Memtest, at Test #5 (33% of 1 pass with ZERO errors). Maybe one of them was dislodged?

Is the Northbridge, the MCH Core setting to 1.4v?