[SOLVED] Spontaneous Reboots on my 5 year old PC, Help

Oct 9, 2018
Hey TH, I've recently had this problem with my computer after a few months of picking up my 1080ti aorus waterforce where my computer will shut off everything (monitors, fans, etc,) then reboot itself within 3-5 seconds back to the windows user login screen with no errors. I went and checked the event viewer and I was definitely getting 6008 Event IDs. The weird part is that it never did this with my old 970 and it hadn't done it for at least a couple of months after purchasing my 1080ti secondhand. I'm really not sure if it is the PSU or the GFX card at this point causing it as I can go some days with gaming 8 hours with 0 spontaneous reboots, but others it will reboot while watching youtube and being on discord.

I also went ahead and reset my bios and afterburner to default settings and the problem still persisted. I even went ahead and did a full memtest86+ to make sure it wasn't my RAM and 0 errors. I have yet to look at the capacitors on my MOBO, but I really doubt it's that at this point. I've also went ahead and done prime95 while also doing a unigine benchmark for 30 minutes with 0 reboots. It seems like this problem is very sporadic to say the least lol. I'm starting to assume it's the PSU which is why I went and bought a EVGA G3 650w 80+ Gold from amazon today, but I just want to see what the forum has to say about this all.

I honestly didn't think much of it until it started to happen more frequently, and now I'm starting to worry if maybe I messed up any of my components in anyway with these reboots.

As for specs my pc has;
CPU: i7-4790k @ stock settings (I overclocked it to 4.7ghz at 1.3v for awhile before this problem, and even undervolted it to 0.990v at 4.0ghz but the reboots still occurred)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright 140mm True Spirit Air Cooler
GPU: 1080Ti Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 11gb edition
RAM: 2x8gb DDR3 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance
MOBO: Gigabyte Z97-UD3H-BK
SSD: 2x Kingston 240gb
SSD: 1x Silicon Power 240gb (OS Drive)
HDD: 1 tb Hitachi 5400rpm (this HDD is fairly old from my first PC build 8 years ago)
PSU: X4 Ultra 750w 80+ bronze (this is a in-house PSU that I bought from tigerdirect)
Etc: 2x NF-A14 3000rpm fans, 1x 200mm Phanteks fan, RGB mousepad, LED keyboard, bluetooth RGB mouse, Blue Yeti.
Monitors: 27-inch Dell SD2716DG 2560x1440, 24-inch Vizio LED 1080p
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I don't know if this is significant at all, but I've also cleaned my PC pretty much every 6 months so I ruled out dust to be any sort of issue.

Edit: I've had the main components besides that HDD and the GPU for almost 5 years.
Edit 2: I also have two separate PCIE 6+2 connectors going into the GPU to rule out wonky power delivery because I used to just run it on one PCIE cable with 2 6+2 connectors attached to it.
Edit 3: I'll most likely keep this post up until I test my new PSU when it comes in to make sure that it was the problem, before selecting a best solution.

Edit 4: After leaving my PC on 24/7 and gaming 8 out of those 24 hours everyday with 0 spontaneous reboots and only a +/- 0.07 12v variance, it is safe to say my old in-house tigerdirect psu was failing. It's also good to note that I ran prime95 and furmark for 30 minutes with none of my voltages out of the ordinary!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
I would say it's most likely the PSU.
You think I chose a good PSU for my build? I like to OC and I read a lot of reddit posts and TH posts that this G3 650w should have enough headroom for all of that, even though I was debating on getting the 650w Prime Gold Seasonic (only reason I didn't was because it was out of stock until May 3rd). I also plan on upgrading to Ryzen 3000 or possibly Ice Lake if my i7 still serves me well until then.